another converter question....

-

Suregrip391

Reaction score
I talked to the shop that wants to build my engine/trans today. Im building a 340 and have a 904 trans. On the trans end of it, he wants to install a cheetah manual/auto valve body and a good rebuild kit but he said it would be ok to keep the stock converter in there seeing the 904 converter was smaller and better then a stock 727 converter so no need to change that??.....HUH?? Stock converter on a mild to intermediate 340 rebuild??....Is he correct in his thinking here or will I need a better converter here?? Thanks.

The proper convertor is picked after looking at a lot of factors. Camshaft, compression, gears,car weight, main use of car, etc. Give us all of that and we'll toss a few ideas back at ya. Mild to intermediate build doesn't really say anything.

Mainly a street car, cruise night car, want to run 3:55 to 3:91 gearing, .460 to .480 lift cam, 69 barracuda, running forged flat top Speedpro pistons. They are in the 9.5:1 to 10.0:1 compression range.

Suregrip391 said:
I talked to the shop that wants to build my engine/trans today. Im building a 340 and have a 904 trans. On the trans end of it, he wants to install a cheetah manual/auto valve body and a good rebuild kit but he said it would be ok to keep the stock converter in there seeing the 904 converter was smaller and better then a stock 727 converter so no need to change that??.....HUH?? Stock converter on a mild to intermediate 340 rebuild??....Is he correct in his thinking here or will I need a better converter here?? Thanks.

Talk to another shop..........

Call the guys at ATI they would give you a solid answer. You will need alot of info for them to determin this check out the web site there is a fill in sheet to give you an idea what information you may need.
Joe

i had a 340 with about 10.5 compression, 480lift comp cam, 3.55 gear, 904, in a fullweight duster. first convertor was a 2000-2400 stall. it worked ok but if you the most of your combo with a few smoky burnouts and thrills ar the red light, just myself i was very happy when i changed convertors to a 3000 to 3500. if you get one from the company they will be fine on the highway. i run a ptc in mine and my cousin runs an ati, both great convertors. fom experiance a convertor can make your car look like its real mean or kind of a slouch. the right combo you can really impress if thats what your after.

i would definatley call a few convertor shops and tell them your combo and see what they say.. i would be worried about a stock convertoe and a man valve body.. stock 904 convertors tend to break the hubs when you put power and man valve body line pressure with them..

-
Back