Another guy claiming 300HP

-
It's just the OP continuing to try to prove a the "fat head" and "V8" guys wrong. We all appreciate a slant six, but some of us are smart enough to know reality over some internet fantasy slant six build

I will say this for slantys
I pumped one up to 9.5Scr, installed a small solid-lifter cam, put the SS stuff on it, and it made pretty good fuel-economy. It just took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get up to cruising speed; at least that's what it felt like, but IDK, maybe it was only like 15 seconds, I never timed it,lol.

Ok , I wasn't gonna chime in but, sometime in the early 2000's Mopar Muscle did a article on a NA 225 with ALLOT of work trying to get to 325 hp. The best they got out of it was 308. At the crank.They ran it Fuel Injected and with a carb and had just about the same number.The engine wasn't streetable but that is subject to definition .

Ok , I wasn't gonna chime in but, sometime in the early 2000's Mopar Muscle did a article on a NA 225 with ALLOT of work trying to get to 325 hp. The best they got out of it was 308. At the crank.They ran it Fuel Injected and with a carb and had just about the same number.The engine wasn't streetable but that is subject to definition .

That's right. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's impossible to to it N/A and streetable on pump gas. Or at least......not that "I've" seen "YET".

To no one in particular, just me musing;
308crank hp, eh? I wonder at what rpm?
308 crank is what at RWHP; would it be 265ish?
What would a 4bbl 5.2 Magnum with headers and factory cam make? About same you think? I mean they are rated 230RWHP.
How would they compare below 3000 or so, where most streeters would spend most of their time?
What gas would it need?
What rear gears and stall would that 308hp 225 have to run?
How would it handle idling in traffic,
or cruising at 65mph
Or most importantly, I think, what gear would be comfortable at 30 mph, and
what would the KD be into the next lower gear.
These are things that make a car streetable. 308hp at some hi-rpm number is almost not important to a streeter, cuz it only matters now and then,in second gear, on the way to about 60/65 mph.

What would a 4bbl 5.2 Magnum with headers and factory cam make? About same you think? I mean they are rated 230RWHP.
How would they compare below 3000 or so, where most streeters would spend most of their time?
What gas would it need?
or cruising at 65mph
These are things that make a car streetable. 308hp at some hi-rpm number is almost not important to a streeter, cuz it only matters now and then,in second gear, on the way to about 60/65 mph.

Remember too, that was a magazine article. They have sponsors to please. No doubt their numbers were inflated to make their sponsors happy. Again, I'm not sayin it ain't possible. Just not real probable.

Now there are a lot of drag strip slants that prove me wrong, but those ain't streetable on pump gas. Go to youtube and look up "slant six Ruster" that's Greg's car. It's N/A and runs in the 11s.

300HP being cooled by 1 square foot of effective radiator in front of a 12" fan? Or is that a solid shroud....? 300 is wishful thinking. Mark Etheridge (Maddmaxx?), member here and owner of a 62 drag Toad has about 250 HP out of a n N/A slant in a swiss cheesed 2600 lb Lancer. I have seen this car and every ounce has been accounted for to reduce weight. He ran an 8.05 @ 83 mph and that calculates to about 250 HP at the wheels. I would not call that car streetable, neither would he.

What gas would it need?
or cruising at 65mph

What rpm? the book i'm reading says a decent built engine will consume 1.4 cfm per hp. 308 hp /6 = 431 cfm use the 3456 x displacement x rpm = cfm formula. would estimated it about 6500 rpm.
1.4 x 3456 = 4838. so HP x 4838 / cid = rpm.

300HP being cooled by 1 square foot of effective radiator in front of a 12" fan? Or is that a solid shroud....? 300 is wishful thinking. Mark Etheridge (Maddmaxx?), member here and owner of a 62 drag Toad has about 250 HP out of a n N/A slant in a swiss cheesed 2600 lb Lancer. I have seen this car and every ounce has been accounted for to reduce weight. He ran an 8.05 @ 83 mph and that calculates to about 250 HP at the wheels. I would not call that car streetable, neither would he.

What happened to that car? I remember it well.

The little gold car's location is correct......although I wouldn't run the plastic (or glass) fuel filter in case of a crash. I would run the WIX metal fuel filter.

If you have a regulator, what I like to do is go ahead and run a return line and put the regulator in the return line. A good return system really helps with keeping temperature down with today's crappy fuel.......or any fuel for that matter.
Thanks. I have a Weber carb so I need the regulator because they run on low pressure, like 2.5 to 3.0 PSI.

What happened to that car? I remember it well.
He was pulled into the wall at 80, IIRC he blew a tire? Messed the front clip up but he thought he could fix it. He used to be in my area but I transferred and have not seen him in a while.

Thanks. I have a Weber carb so I need the regulator because they run on low pressure, like 2.5 to 3.0 PSI.

You can still benefit from a good return system. I wouldn't have a car without one. .....well, I do but not for long.

The 71 Duster Sharadon Performance built was pretty cool. IIRC I think the slant 6 was close to 600hp but. It had a lot of custom work and was supercharged.

It's just the OP continuing to try to prove a the "fat head" and "V8" guys wrong. We all appreciate a slant six, but some of us are smart enough to know reality over some internet fantasy slant six build

Yup...and I love the guy for being so tenacious about it. It's just not in the cards. now maybe if he whittles out a badass aluminum cross flow head..........

here is a legit 258HP N/A hyperpak slant with dyno numbers...11:1 pistons! notice the peaky HP numbers for that long DutrA REPOP HP ram intake. There was an Exener concept car that used the hyperpack slant and I think it was the fastest 'production' slant car in its day, like 123mph? The owner said the car took off at 3000 RPM. Note the duals......and the length.
198 SL6 Dyno Results = 253 HP & 267 ft.lbs! - Slant Six Forum

Last edited:
I used to shock the chevy guys with my 72 slant six dart. It was just a well tuned stock engine with free flowing exhaust and a nice shifting trans. It would hang all day long on the street with my buddys 350 buick skylark. I shamed a monte carlo and the guy would not believe I had a six until I popped the hood. I can still see the confusion on his face.
Slants are not a powerhouse but in my opinion thet were the best engine ever designed.
My dreams used to be of a 4 bbl intake and headers for the slant. Never could afford them though and eventually a 340 fell in my lap and I never looked back to the old slant again.
I think its cool. Seems to be a lot of people trying to squeeze more power out of the slant these days.

IIRC, Greg's '69 ran 14.80"s, a full bodied street car. That's prob. ~185-190hp at the wheels.....4spd car....the trap speed would be more useful to know...

IIRC, Greg's '69 ran 14.80"s, a full bodied street car. That's prob. ~185-190hp at the wheels.....4spd car....the trap speed would be more useful to know...

That's stock 340 car territory. I really like that car. He's done a great job with it.

-
Back