Another k member Id question

-

CarfinaticII

Under Construction
Reaction score
I am getting parts ready for this winter to swap from slant 6 to a 318. This k member came with the car when I bought it. I searched here for what year it was and also at K-Member ID Chart

what’s throwing me off is the passenger side engine mount looks different than any pictures I have come across. Any help is appreciated.

724AF029-EB46-4EB8-881C-90532B62383D.jpeg

Measure from top to top across the perches.
The V8 should measure approximately 20'' across
The Slant 6 measurement is approximately 22 1/4''
Info taken from engine swaps catalog.

68-72 slant sux. I converted one to V8 using a homemade jig, and completely removed and replaced the RH slant sux mount.

Yeah they are aiiight. I have had 3 of em in my lifetime. They work ok till you got all your V8 swap stuff ready to go.

Ok, well mine measures about 21 3/4 but I guess that is close enough to the 22 1/4 mark.

68-72 slant sux. I converted one to V8 using a homemade jig, and completely removed and replaced the RH slant sux mount.

Did you reuse the slant mount? What else would be different? Im interested. I was just thinking, why cant i just cut it off and move it lol

It's different enough to not just cut and move it. I made a jig off a V8 k frame that uses K frame shoulder bolts and it locates the RH mount in the correct spot. I also made templates from a RH V8 mount. This K was a 67 one. I am going to make a jig to locate a 68-72 idler arm in the right spot. I removed the 67 only idler mount and scrapped it. This jig is nice for checking for straightness of the K frame as well as seam welding one on the bench and preventing warpage.

The LH front mount has changes for a V8 that include adding a stiffener plate and shortening the LH mount. See second pic for it trimmed down and stiffener added. This was copied off a factory 68-72 V8 K frame

20190510_172759.jpg

20190510_172748.jpg

Last edited:
It's different enough to not just cut and move it. I made a jig off a V8 k frame that uses K frame shoulder bolts and it locates the RH mount in the correct spot. I also made templates from a RH V8 mount. This K was a 67 one. I am going to make a jig to locate a 68-72 idler arm in the right spot. I removed the 67 only idler mount and scrapped it. This jig is nice for checking for straightness of the K frame as well as seam welding one on the bench and preventing warpage.

The LH front mount has changes for a V8 that include adding a stiffener plate and shortening the LH mount. See second pic for it trimmed down and stiffener added. This was copied off a factory 68-72 V8 K frame

View attachment 1715610526

View attachment 1715610532

Thats a hell of a nice jig

I'm still curious what you have?? Like you said pass side looks different.
I always thought slant 6 had a "tall" mount on one side? Can you post a couple more pics?

That is a 68-72 slant sux K frame. I'd bet a paycheck on it. I cut one of those RH mounts off and pitched it in my scrap trailer

I think transdapt makes a /6 to 318 V8 set of mounts.

I only have 67-72 V8 340/360 mounts these will not work on your slant 6 K frame. These are new construction "NOT China". Need to verify against my 360 block and figure pricing before I put up for sale. Will be reasonable compared to used factory 340/360 mounts though and will come with new hardware

20201014_180459.jpg

Last edited:
I think transdapt makes a /6 to 318 V8 set of mounts.

I only have 67-72 V8 340/360 mounts these will not work on your slant 6 K frame. These are new construction "NOT China". Need to verify against my 360 block and figure pricing before I put up for sale. Will be reasonable compared to used factory 340/360 mounts though and will come with new hardware

View attachment 1715612854

You build those? That's awesome!

You build those? That's awesome!

No a friend of mine builds them, and wholesales them to me, I retail them. I also have 67-72 small block V8 motor mount limiters, and shock plates he makes. The shock plates will fit for any mopar 3" axle tube, but are also slightly slotted to also fit a for 8.8 axle tube for an explorer 8.8 swap.

I make battery cable assemblies for 76-62 Small block V8 A body, and dual 3.5" dash speaker mounts.

20201014_182217.jpg

20200705_181757.jpg

20200926_184819.jpg

20190222_182129.jpg

I am getting parts ready for this winter to swap from slant 6 to a 318. This k member came with the car when I bought it. I searched here for what year it was and also at K-Member ID Chart

what’s throwing me off is the passenger side engine mount looks different than any pictures I have come across. Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 1715610437

Are you rebuilding front end etc during change over ?

Are you rebuilding front end etc during change over ?
I wasn't planning on it. Down the road sure, but I have a lot of other work to do in the engine bay. Previous owner (or owner before that) welded the fenders to the inner fenders with a bad patch job for rust I'm assuming. I have never changed a K member before or ever pulled an engine for that matter. This is my first resto so I'm just trying to do things in steps and not fully tear it apart. If I have to do some things twice, so be it. helps me learn.

With that being said, do you think that is a bad approach? Or since the engine is out and k member out, should I rebuild the front end? I Have a lift at my disposal at my work for the front end later on.

I wasn't planning on it. Down the road sure, but I have a lot of other work to do in the engine bay. Previous owner (or owner before that) welded the fenders to the inner fenders with a bad patch job for rust I'm assuming. I have never changed a K member before or ever pulled an engine for that matter. This is my first resto so I'm just trying to do things in steps and not fully tear it apart. If I have to do some things twice, so be it. helps me learn.

With that being said, do you think that is a bad approach? Or since the engine is out and k member out, should I rebuild the front end? I Have a lift at my disposal at my work for the front end later on.
Ok - was just curious because we have people who make adapters to put 318 in-use with stock 6 cyl crossmember !

If you really want to do this on the cheap, I have seen guys do this with an A body LH 318 steel mount and rubber isolator on the left, and a mid 70s dodge pickup 318 RH steel mount and A body rubber isolator on the right.

Last edited:
-
Back