Another torque converter question

-

Tracy S

Reaction score
I have a "Frankenstein" Dodge stepside pickup. It is titled as a 79, but pieced together. Engine is a rebuilt '70 340. Kickdown was not hooked up when I bought it. I hooked it up, but too late. The 727 is in the shop getting rebuilt now. I am asking advice on what converter to run. The converter I took out was stock, and practically brand new.

'79 ? Dodge stepside pickup. Weight = heavy??

Engine - 1970 340

Cam - Crane PowerMax Camshaft, hydraulic flat tappet, 3,000 to 6,000 rpm operating range, duration at .050 lift - 228 int./ 228 exh., valve lift - 0.480 int./ 0.480 exh., lobe separation - 112 degrees

Rear - right now it has a 8 1/4 open truck rear with unknown gears (3.55's maybe?) the truck is tubbed with 33 x 19.5 x 15 inch Mickey Thompson Sportsman tires on the rear. The rear is not narrowed, the rims have a HUGE offset to bring the tires under the truck. The frame is cut, boxed and moved in about 6 inches on both sides making room for the tires.

I am looking for an 8 3/4 suregrip rear with 4.30's to replace that 8 1/4.

What stall converter do you suggest? Thanks in advance, Keith.

I'd go with a 2800-3000 stall. Any less and it'll probably be a pig on takeoff. Get looser than that and normal driving suffers, usually.

Thanks, I've been reading threads on this site and others, and now I'm worried that it may be a lock up tranny. Like I said, it is titled as a 79, so I am assuming the tranny is a 79 and I read they started using lock ups in some 727's in 78. In my haste to get it to the tranny shop before they closed on Friday, I didn't take down any numbers thinking that I was safe because 727's were never lock ups. I have to get in touch with them before I make any moves with a converter.

You can tell real easy if it's a lockup by looking at the end of input shaft. If the splines go to the end of the shaft it's not a lockup. If the end of the shaft is milled down smooth for the last 3/8~1/2" it is a lockup. Also you can count the splines and tell by that. The lockup trans. was a 23 spline and the non lockup was a 24 spline.

Thanks for the information, this site is by far the most helpful site with the most knowledgeable members of any Mopar site that I visit. I joined this site because I am also building a Duster, but no matter what question I post about any vehicle, I always get great advice. Thanks again.

-
Back