Antifreezed Carpet and Insulation

-

Steve69Fish

Reaction score
When I picked up my Barracuda, the heater core had leaked a considerable amount of antifreeze into the passenger floor-wells. When I got it home, I took the shop-vac to the carpet to pull out as much as I could until I had a chance to start yanking interior to clean up underneath, which I finally got to today.

The carpet and insulation don't feel soaked, but the pad is still damp.

I'm looking for opinions on whether this is a let the pad air dry for a while and it's fine, or scrap it and get new situation.

Eventually I want to Dynamat, so don't want to put a ton of $ into that at the moment, but if this is all going to act like fiberglass home insulation and basically never dry, then I need to do something now.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• InteriorStart.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 142
Antifreeze will never completely evaporate. It leaves behind a greasy/oily residue. The cure is to wash it out. This can be done in the car with multiple applications of clean warm water, vacuuming it up, and finally towelling it.
But some water will remain in the jute backing, and therefor in direct contact with the metal floor. It may take several days or weeks to fully evaporate, depending on it's environment.
You can have the carpet out and on the floor in about a half hour.A little longer if you have a floor console.I see you are most of the way there already.Then you can pressure wash it at a low-pressure setting, from the topside. Vacuum it. Towel it. Wait. In the meantime you can water-wash the metal floor, and let it airdry.
This would be a good time to remove and clean out the heater box as well.

Antifreeze will never completely evaporate. It leaves behind a greasy/oily residue. The cure is to wash it out.

Yep, hot soapy water and air dry.
A 55 gallon barrel helps. :D

(Or in your case air freeze)

Arizona sucks,:(

OH, ok.
I saw that in another post and couldn't figure out why you posted that, but now I know. :D

55 calm and sunny today, so take that.
As a matter of fact, about the same forecasted for the whole week so I'll be outside doing little things on Stephanie's car in a T shirt.:finga:

Antifreeze will never completely evaporate. It leaves behind a greasy/oily residue. The cure is to wash it out. This can be done in the car with multiple applications of clean warm water, vacuuming it up, and finally towelling it.
But some water will remain in the jute backing, and therefor in direct contact with the metal floor. It may take several days or weeks to fully evaporate, depending on it's environment.
You can have the carpet out and on the floor in about a half hour.A little longer if you have a floor console.I see you are most of the way there already.Then you can pressure wash it at a low-pressure setting, from the topside. Vacuum it. Towel it. Wait. In the meantime you can water-wash the metal floor, and let it airdry.
This would be a good time to remove and clean out the heater box as well.

Thanks. Heater box is coming out next chance I get to work on it. New core, new seal kit. Anyone know the resistor part number and where to pick one up?

Also need to pull the driver side vent box to clean it out and refresh .... and to be able to remove the mouse nest I found in the cowl.

On the plus side, the antifreeze spill means the mouse is no longer a problem!

Thanks. Heater box is coming out next chance I get to work on it. New core, new seal kit. Anyone know the resistor part number and where to pick one up?

Also need to pull the driver side vent box to clean it out and refresh .... and to be able to remove the mouse nest I found in the cowl.

On the plus side, the antifreeze spill means the mouse is no longer a problem!

AND antifreeze inhibits rust after any water evaporates out of it. :D

-
Back