any bracing involved when removing front rails?

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
So I have to replace both my front frame rails due to rot. I was going to do one side at a time now when I go to remove these rails do I have to brace the body to keep it from twisting or anything like that?

When i did mine i just supported it with jack stands at the front of the rockers and left the k member in with a floor jack under it. Removed one at a time and bolted the k member back in place and lined up where the old one was. Then welded it in place. Since then I have pulled the old k frame and replace it with the alter k and had no issues bolting it right in.

I'm assuming you used spot weld cutters to cut it out? I've never done this before so I'm kinda nervous about it.

I know the feeling I was nervous also as it was my first time and worried i would screw something up. Use spot weld cutters as long as they are not on the edge of the rail. When they are on the edge they will catch and break so i used a drill bit on those. As long as you can weld you will be fine just take your time and don't rush it.

I would weld in an X brace to keep everything straight before I removed those rails. Welding and wrenching can twist things out of shape.

Maybe from the rad support to the cowl...about half way down.

I saw firsthand what happens on a mustang when you dont brace things....can you say DOG LEG?

Mop

well i started drilling the spot welds out. got most of them out but the front on the rad support is being a pain so i called it quits for tonight. i used your idea of keeping the k member bolted in with a floor jack underneath everything seems to be steady so i'm gonna continue with it tomorrow. thanks for the info!

So I got the rail out went to put the other one in and it doesn't seem to be lining up properly its about a quarter of an inch away from the torsion bar crossmember is and I can't get it any closer I have tried everything. But everything else seemed lined up..? Any ideass?

Pics.....you can try to rig a couple of ratchet straps and tug it into place.

Sounds like some more cleaning up with the grinder to get some clearance.

Check for squareness? Front to back and diagonal.....measure the old one and the new one to see if it's shorter.

did all that everything measures up just fine its literally not even a quarter inch i most likely am gonna try to rig the ratchet system up that should do the trick...i completely cleaned everything up the end of the frame rail underneath the floor was bent up a little i straightened it out the best i could maybe it just got bent a little to much? i dont think the body twisted of anything like that im just worried about welding this thing all the way in and have everything be screwed up

unfortunately my camera is broke right now so i have no way to put pics up i got it a little closer after i bolted the kmember back up i tacked the front half of the rail in and i can pretty much get the rail almost touching where it needs to be tacked its still not sitting flush. ive checked and double checked measurements,places to grind down, and i'm kinda at a loss. its literally just about there but it seems like i have no play left at all.

-
Back