Any clutch fan options for 73 dart, /6?

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
Not having any cooling issues. I would just like to replace the ancient, solid, 4 blade with something more efficient.

73 Dart, PS, without air.

Not having any cooling issues. I would just like to replace the ancient, solid, 4 blade with something more efficient.

73 Dart, PS, without air.
There are no common clutch units that can fit in that space. The shortest A Body one just barely touches the radiator.. Step on the brakes hard and it goes right through it.
If you're looking for a good factory option, I have the 7 Blade A/C fan for that car. $30 plus shipping

I had a non thermostatic clutch fan on My '72 swinger, factory /6 w/ a/c rad, tight fit but it cleared. It's around here somewhere, not sure what app I got it for, have to scan
the "gray cobwebs" for a bit!

Yep, this can be done. Clearance is real tight on a Slant-6 A-body, so you need a shallow fan blade and clutch setup. Not hard to pull from a wrecking yard if you know where to look. See here and here (on that page you can read up on the Toyota Land Cruiser fan and clutch — then go pounce on this ridiculously inexpensive one)

My brother used one off a Mercedes I think ?
I will ask him and let you know .

Well, I went thru My various, ahem, "parts inventory spaces" & found it. 7-blade 18" w/a non-thermo clutch, 2 7/8" from the tips of the tiny"fins" on the clutch, to the mounting
face at the pulley/pump end. The mounting flange is slotted, and I used appropriate length bolts. IIRC, there was only about 3/8" or so clutch fins to rad cores, tight to put in....
but never had a problem w/it once it was........and I revved and drove the s**t outta that thing. '73 & up discs up frt., & 10x1.75 drums in back w/ H-V rated skins, never ever
touched. Can't tell You what difference there might be from my stock /6 OE A/C swinger rad., '72-'73 may have changed, slantsixdan probably has the part#'s at his fingertips.

I tried a M-B fan clutch on my 64 slant. It looks similar to the Toyota one linked in post 5, but even thinner. Even it didn't fit. I recall I have just 2" from the end of the water pump to the rad core, but the rad on the car isn't factory (don't know where from). I used a nylon flex fan (Summit) on a short spacer (1"?, forget). The M-B fan does bolt-up to the w.p. w/ no bushings or such. You must use an open-end wrench on the bolts since no room to slide a box wrench over the bolt head. Your 1973 engine bay likely has more room than my car.

I just measured one I have on the bench from my 1985 M-B 300D. It is 2-3/8" from base to front face. This is the factory type w/ flat thermo-spring. The ones w/ coiled thermo-spring (like Mopar) are ~1/4" thicker. People say a Jaguar clutch-fan is similarly thin, and might look the same.

When I get a chance,(like that'll happen soon), I'll see exactly what the distance is on the '72 Duster, another factory /6 A/C car.

The OP's car is a '73 with much more fan-to-rad clearance than a '64.
Well, it only took 1 year & 1 month, but hey.....who's counting!!! As delivered by Ma' Mopar, there isn't a whole lot more room because of the core to mounting offset.
The difference between My '64 GT's @ 2&7/16"('vert) and 2&9/16"(Cpe.) is well within the assembly tolerance at 1/8". My '72 Factory A/C /6 Duster is @ 2&15/16"...
these are from the pump pulley mounting face to the back of the rad cores. So the early A is giving up maybe 1/2" total to a later A even though the later A has the eng.
set back from the frt. axle well over 1" more than the early A. The main reason for this is the later A rad frame offsets the cores rearward ~7/8" more. I started to think
back as to how I managed to get that clutch in there when it hit Me, I had loosened ALL of the eng./trans mount bolts and pulled the unit back with a come-along, once
the clearances in all the mounting holes was taken-up I cranked 'em down. It was enough & I never-ever had a single issue with contact, it was a very tight job to R&R
the fan & clutch, but it was doable.

Last edited:
Oh, and thanks to Slantsix64 for jogging My memory about this thread!

plenty of room and that is an over the counter part.

dart25.jpg

dart24.jpg

Yeah, Mine is an Evercool I believe, and I think it's the equivalent of the 2707. Which is ~ 1/2" longer......................that 2705 fits V8 Jeeps & Oldsmobubbles too.

The fan its self is off my 1968 v8 dart that I bolted onto the 2705 fan clutch. It really works well.

For the F-Body AC belt system I put into my 73 Duster. The Mercedes clutch and fan mod was the best option for my setup.
Works with factory shroud and never runs hot...Pulls tons of air!
Fan1.JPG
Fan2.JPG

So for clearance, the hot ticket was the Hayden 2765 Jag standard duty. This had the shortest mounting ability, but some found that it wasn't cooling effectively.

So the update to the 2765, is the Hayden 2947 heavy duty fan clutch. From my reading, it is a scosche longer, but being HD, it moves much more air. So "If" it fits your application, the Hayden 2947 is the hot ticket.

So for clearance, the hot ticket was the Hayden 2765 Jag standard duty. This had the shortest mounting ability, but some found that it wasn't cooling effectively.

So the update to the 2765, is the Hayden 2947 heavy duty fan clutch. From my reading, it is a scosche longer, but being HD, it moves much more air. So "If" it fits your application, the Hayden 2947 is the hot ticket.
Wouldn't a hot ticket require even more cooling ?

kevin-drums.gif

-
Back