Any electronic shift AT trans experts in here?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Not old Mopar related but may cross over.....2008 Mazda 3, no first gear, says shift solenoid stuck. Easy fix? just a new solenoid or are these usually TCM related? 192K miles. Solenoids are right under the trans pan, looks like a 30 minute job. No codes, this is for sale and Im just researching it.

I'm a Subaru mechanic and newer stuff like that should have a code if the solenoid is stuck. I can't say 100% for a Mazda but it sounds like a mechanical issue to me. No codes means the TCM is getting all the correct inputs and outputs but still no first gear action. Also, even if it's actually just the solenoid, you might look into parts availability. Subaru stopped selling solenoids when they went to CVTs in the early 2010s, now you have to buy the whole valve body for close to $1000.

Not old Mopar related but may cross over.....2008 Mazda 3, no first gear, says shift solenoid stuck. Easy fix? just a new solenoid or are these usually TCM related? 192K miles. Solenoids are right under the trans pan, looks like a 30 minute job. No codes, this is for sale and Im just researching it.

It could be just a stuck solenoid, but we all know how that goes.
Ah, I think Donny just made my point while I was typing.

Google it for AI, you will get information that's out in the web including factory diagnostics, we tried this at work when AI was available, and it came up with information we already knew to be factory information for diagnostic procedures.
Back to your question when you say no 1st gear, I assume it's moving forward in another gear as if in fail safe mode? do you have a scan tool to monitor what solenoids are on/off?

Google it for AI, you will get information that's out in the web including factory diagnostics, we tried this at work when AI was available, and it came up with information we already knew to be factory information for diagnostic procedures.
Back to your question when you say no 1st gear, I assume it's moving forward in another gear as if in fail safe mode? do you have a scan tool to monitor what solenoids are on/off?
I could be wrong but I interpreted it as a car he saw an ad for. I guess he could bring a scan tool if he goes and looks at it though, just might be awkward diagnosing a strangers car, ha.

-
Back