Any reason a transbrake valve body would be slower than non tbrake VB

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
Trying to account for as many variables in the new combo as i can.
When i had the stock stroke 360, car ran a best of 11.26. 727 trans, 4500 8 inch vert
After a time, i swapped out the 727 for a 904 with transbrake, and new 8 inch vert. About 5k flash
The car immediately picked up almost a tenth in 60 foot, but further down the track i went, it gave that gain back. To the point to where the best it ever ran after the swap was 11.33.
Obviously i never saw the 1.5 tenth gain i was hoping to see.
Either i missed on the vert( better 60, but too loose on the big end) or something about a brake valve body( i have always footed it, have yet to use the brake) draws power...
Gonna be curious to see if the stroker with lots more torque likes this vert.

Chrysler did some testing in the mid-late '70's and found that (all else being equal, including converter specs and overall vehicle weight) a 904 is about .15 faster in the 1/4 mile. I believe this was done with SS cars from that period.

As for the trans brake, I was told that there can be a draw on performance because of the pressures it operates at. But I'm not sure if one is suppose to increase line pressure with a trans-brake and/or if the brake itself creates more pressure/drag by how it operates.

Some of the Super Stock guys claim that their car are faster off the football then the transbrake, sometimes in qualifying they will try it. But the AMX doesn't leave good on the footbrake and the AFB carb. I would think it was converter or high gear related, versus the transbrake valve body.

Some of the Super Stock guys claim that their car are faster off the football then the transbrake,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
sometimes in qualifying they will try it. But the AMX doesn't leave good on the footbrake and the AFB carb. I would think it was converter or high gear related, versus the transbrake valve body.

Faster off the football , a fan no doubt !

Trying to account for as many variables in the new combo as i can.
When i had the stock stroke 360, car ran a best of 11.26. 727 trans, 4500 8 inch vert
After a time, i swapped out the 727 for a 904 with transbrake, and new 8 inch vert. About 5k flash
The car immediately picked up almost a tenth in 60 foot, but further down the track i went, it gave that gain back. To the point to where the best it ever ran after the swap was 11.33.
Obviously i never saw the 1.5 tenth gain i was hoping to see.
Either i missed on the vert( better 60, but too loose on the big end) or something about a brake valve body( i have always footed it, have yet to use the brake) draws power...
Gonna be curious to see if the stroker with lots more torque likes this vert.
Tell us about the converter. Kim

Tell us about the converter. Kim

its an 8 inch PTC
Flashes right at 5k... its almost a tenth quicker than the 4500 flash 727 convertor i started with... but the car doesn't ET as good with it. Expected to gain going to 904, not slow down.
The 904 convertor has been about 117.50 mph, the 727 convertor went almost 119.
I suspect my current vert is too loose, expecially in high gear.
Going to have it tightened up before i use it behind the 418 that will have way more compression

-
Back