Any vegans here?

-
I don't think previous generations "average" life expectancy means persons died in their "forties", more like many infants died before maturity and that averages out with those who lived on into their eighties and nineties.

I have seen some pretty healthy non-vegan, meat eaters--namely lions, tigers, and bears.

My old man was a cattle rancher who ate all the meat and potatoes he wanted, lived to be 86 years old, never exercised "on purpose". Only remember seeing him run once time in my life, for about 15 seconds (he always wore cowboy boots). He often said he wanted to die "with a piece of meat in my mouth". Funny irony in that wish was, he actually died of a bowel obstruction! (but please don't blame the beef for that demise)

steak.jpg

I don't think previous generations "average" life expectancy means persons died in their "forties", more like many infants died before maturity and that averages out with those who lived on into their eighties and nineties.

I have seen some pretty healthy non-vegan, meat eaters--namely lions, tigers, and bears.

My old man was a cattle rancher who ate all the meat and potatoes he wanted, lived to be 86 years old, never exercised "on purpose". Only remember seeing him run once time in my life, for about 15 seconds (he always wore cowboy boots). He often said he wanted to die "with a piece of meat in my mouth". Funny irony in that wish was, he actually died of a bowel obstruction! (but please don't blame the beef for that demise)

View attachment 1715181678
It’s not just about average age, it’s about the range and standard deviation around the average too.

Back then, the range wasn’t very high and the standard deviation was low. A very small percentage of the population made it past age 60.

The diseases that were prevalent back then like typhoid, cholera, plague, Yellow fever, tuberculosis, etc. made short work of the vast majority of the population.

The article lost me on page one when the author started stating things like “Back at the turn of the century (1900), Alzheimer’s and heart attacks didn’t exist and cancer only caused 3.4% of deaths”

Well, since the average life expectancy was around 45 back then, no one lived long enough to get Alzheimer’s. It didn’t show up in modern history until life expectancy got high enough to see it.

The current heart attack rates for people under 45 is less than 0.5%, so it’s no surprise it wasn’t documented back then either.

As far as cancer rates, 3.4% in people under age 45 would be ridiculously high in the modern World where the current cancer death rates for people under age 45 is less than 0.3%....and less than 1% get it to begin with.

To further add to it, medical science wasn’t very advanced back then and very few autopsies or other examinations were done on people who died. Most were simply buried. So any statistics about disease prevalence are unreliable.

If the author opens with a BS spin on data out of context, I have zero interest in reading further.

I agree. I'm no vegan, but the article presents an obvious bias, "fact based" or not.

There is a young woman at work that is Vegan, her choice is ideology. My son in law tried it, but didn’t last long. I think he was ideology also. Diet is not to be taken lightly. We are not the same and your body will tell you what it can handle or not. Especially if you stop listening to the so called experts. A book, “eat right for your type” suggests different diets depending on your blood type. Another book, “the omnivores dilemma” rates and researched different meals from McDonalds to grocery store, to big organic, to real organic, to hunter gatherer. From least nutritious and taste to the best nutritious and taste. I personally am on the God diet. I don’t believe in evolution, or ingesting man made concoctions to mimic real food. That includes genetically modified seed. The funny thing is when I read “eat right for your type” I had already figured out what works for me, and it lined up perfectly with my blood type “O”. The cave man diet, meat and certain fruits and vegetables. Almost no grains. I also watch portions, but it is a lot easier when the food you eat satisfies you.
A lot of people don't know that their blood type determines, to large extend, what you should and shouldn't eat!!

Is serving as president so stressful that it kills those who serve pre-maturely?
How Long Do U.S. Presidents Live?
“On average, presidents live longer than other men of their time despite the stress of the job. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, this is because of two main factors. First, presidents have endured their “perilous early years” before they become president. The average age at inauguration is 55.1. Second, presidents often were more educated, wealthier and had access to the best medical care.”

I had a doctor a few years ago, tell me about the downfalls of being a vegan. He said the human body was designed to be a carnivore, and how certain vegetation really messed up your system. He had several charts on the subject, and made a lot of sense. According to him, the healthiest people on the face of the earth, with the lowest rate of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes, are the Eskimo. They have very little vegetation, and survive mostly on meat with a high fat content.

Evidently, that Doctor never read The China Study which refutes that, and AFAIK has never been refuted.

If someone is a vegan for ideological reasons then they need to spend one day at a commercial farm when they are harvesting. They will see more death in one day then my Mathews will deal out in a year.

The article lost me on page one when the author started stating things like “Back at the turn of the century (1900), Alzheimer’s and heart attacks didn’t exist and cancer only caused 3.4% of deaths”

Well, since the average life expectancy was around 45 back then, no one lived long enough to get Alzheimer’s. It didn’t show up in modern history until life expectancy got high enough to see it.

The current heart attack rates for people under 45 is less than 0.5%, so it’s no surprise it wasn’t documented back then either.

As far as cancer rates, 3.4% in people under age 45 would be ridiculously high in the modern World where the current cancer death rates for people under age 45 is less than 0.3%....and less than 1% get it to begin with.

To further add to it, medical science wasn’t very advanced back then and very few autopsies or other examinations were done on people who died. Most were simply buried. So any statistics about disease prevalence are unreliable.

If the author opens with a BS spin on data out of context, I have zero interest in reading further.
Bingo. That is how those people rope in people like my friend Gary. They throw out some statements like that and get some people nodding their heads and saying "yes". Then they move on to other less believable statements, but the hook is already set. And they seal the deal by quoting a number of Doctors who totally agree. Big deal. There are a lot of Doctors out there who can be bought for a testimony.

Sorry to hear that.
Reminds me of that song from Dumb & Dumber:
"Mary Moon... she's a vegetarian (Mary Moon, Mary Moon, Mary Moon)
Mary Moon... will outlive all the septuagenarians (Mary Moon, Mary Moon, Mary Moon)
Oh, she loves me so
She hates to be alone
She don't eat meat
But she sure like the bone"

The Eskimos eat "unprocessed meat" which very different from the meats we buy at the grocery store. The good Salmon/Seals they eat are fresh and wild while our Salmon is grown on a fish farm. I buy grass fed beef for my hamburgers and try to buy meats that have the least amount of processing. Same goes for eggs!! Farm (free range) eggs have 1/3 less cholesterol than store bought eggs and they have more vitamins/minerals.

EGGS!????? I agree. Back in Mo I had free range eggs, and today I am hen less here in Tx. , but I can tell the difference in country free range, brown eggs, and white eggs.
Wild salmon caught the wrong time, tastes like chit to me!! LOL I wonder if seal tastes like chicken!!???? LOL

My youngest daughter has practiced veganism on and off for half of her life (31 years old). She does if for both reasons. About 10 or 11 years ago, when is was 50, I decided to give up all meat for Lent. It was the toughest, roughest, miserable, and most painful Lent that I have ever had. I was irritable, restless, always hungry, grouchy, and angry. I couldn’t get a good night’s restful sleep and I had a painful expression on my face all the time. Praying was difficult because my stomach was constantly growling. My two daughters couldn’t wait for the ordeal to be over. When Easter arrived, I had a thick piece of ham and all was right with the world again.
I have never tried veganism again.

I have been accused of being cranky when I skip meal. For years, I denied the correlation. Now, however, I believe there was some truth to that observation.

I have tried various methods of fasting, diet changes, etc. for the purposed of introspection, meditation, becoming a "better" person. I think those modifications failed to improve my character/personality in the least. I wish something like that would work.

monkey.jpg

-
Back