Any vegans here?

-
I usually tell a lady, I don’t care if it’s a pb&j sandwich, it’s one of the best meals I ever had. I didn’t have to fix it.

Post-presidency, Bill Clinton converted to a whole foods diet, which qualifies as vegan. With that said, vegan merely stipulates no meat, eggs, milk products, or anything derived from an animal. It does not remotely mean a healthy diet.

The book "The China Study" was previously mentioned. This was compiled from about 20 years of studying medical records from all over China (where privacy of information... there is no equivalent in the Chinese language for that). Regional and community medical traits were compared with the diets and lifestyles. Dr. Campbell (the author) coined the phrases "diseases of affluence" and "diseases of poverty" based on this study. Specifically concerning cancer, he noted that rates of cancer and meat proteins as a percentage of diet were related. Once back home, he took a batch of lab rats and exposed them to a carcinogen, then divided them into 2 test groups; one was fed whole foods only, while the other group was also given Casean (a protein derived from milk). 0% of the non-protein group contracted cancer, while 100% of the protein group did. Magically, once the animal protein was removed from the diet, the cancer stopped growing! He then gave Casean to the non-cancer group and again, like magic, 100% of them started developing cancer!!

About a year ago, my 17 year old son decided to become vegetarian. His reason was he felt lethargic whenever he ate meat. About 2 months in I could tell he wasn't his energetic old self. I told him to listen to his body. He started eating more eggs and peanut butter, which helped. As this drug on, I decided to learn more so I could be more supportive of him. Amazon Prime offers dozens of movies on living a healthy vegan/whole foods lifestyle; most of which at least mention Dr. Campbell (China Study). Among the offerings was a movie featuring dozens of boxers, soccer players, body builders, martial artists, and other competitive professional athletes that live vegan lifestyles. One movie even featured recipes (it was a 4+ hour long movie with about 1/2 devoted to cooking).

My wife has been plagued with health issues for about 1/2 of her life. She traditionally spends about 2/3 of her time in bed, because she can't move around. As a family we decided to shift to the whole foods diet, but with knowledge of what foods supply us what nutrition. Some of her symptoms are disappearing! I am planting a garden this year for the first time in 3 decades. I am about 2 months into this new diet and feel at least as good as I ever have in over a decade.

I'm not trying to sway anybody's lifestyle, just wanting to say it can be done -- if done properly.

I have a doctor buddy (Dr. Heath Motley if you want to look him up) and he thinks vegan diets are counterproductive as the body requires certain proteins that are not available in non-meat foods. He is somewhat of a 'kook' in other theories but this one has medical backed data supporting his side. As in everything in life, eat a variety of foods in moderation. I eat 7-11 burritos 3X a week for lunch and I'm still healthy...shows what excercise can do outside of a diet. I walk about > 4000 steps a day, haul 80 lbs ladders and gaff poles all with a 25 lb tool belt on.

I don't give a **** about trends, what Dr's say, the way we all live nowadays is so far away from what got us here & if you ask me I'd be happy if I had to hunt, fish, garden everyday to feed myself & my wife & die when I die.

I was borderline pre-diabetic so I drastically cut back on sugar and carbs. Now my fasting blood sugar is much better as well as A1C. Question: How can you have diabetes (high blood sugar) and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)??
I missed your question, and likely worded my post poorly. Both hypoglycemia and diabetes is rampant on my Mother's side of the family. I WAS hypo from about 25 up till maybe 10 years ago, and started sliding the other direction. The last few--5 years or so--I've been banging on the "borderline" door. I just had a test a few weeks ago before doc appointment and am still "below the limit." This was a poor time to test. I'm still fighting healing ribs, and am/ have not been very active over winter, which always happens to some exctent. I always lose a few pounds and improve blood sugar a bit in the spring/ summer

I was borderline pre-diabetic so I drastically cut back on sugar and carbs. Now my fasting blood sugar is much better as well as A1C. Question: How can you have diabetes (high blood sugar) and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)??
As a diabetic i can answer that. My blood sugar is at times high and other times low. Being diabetic doesn't mean your BS is always high. Fact is my body doesn't produce enough insulin, so I’m on meds these meds are base on a certain diet. Eat to much bread, rice, starch and my BS will be high. Now in December when I had covid, I didn’t want to eat. My BS would drop to 30-40 severely low. But all the while I am still diabetic.

Last edited:
The terms vegan and vegetarian are two different things. Vegan is no food that is animal based on anyway. Almost impossible to have a healthy diet. There are many vegetarian cultures around the world. I have never liked meat even as a kid. We have been vegetarian for 25+ years. For me because I could care less about meat, for the wife she has all sorts of food allergies and it is works best for her to eat vegetarian.

-
Back