Anybody ever use the Spectre cold air setup on car

-
Following....I saw these years ago, almost pulled the trigger on it, but then I found a fiberglass hemi scoop hood on craigslist for CHEAP (less than the cost of the air cleaner). I couldn't pass it up...but I'm still curious about that scoop if I go back to my original hood.

what do you mean by did the job? I am curious if getting colder air to the carb picked the car up at the track
i used it on a K14 mud truck. Kept getting the exposed open filter clogged with water and mud, this stopped that

I've got a cold air intake with a flat Hood...
IMG_20200616_180914.jpg

Very cold air! LOL...

would be fairly easy to fab something up like that.

agreed
Just curious if anybody actually did this, or similar, and what actual track results were.

I did it on a hot 406 sbc gmc shortbed , back when they cost $90 something , I made some alum. quick pins to separate the hoses from the firewall quickly to remove the breather assem. when working on the engine , worked out very well .
If my throttle body wasnt up in the hoodscoop , I would have done it on my 68 fastback , as I really didnt want a scoop .

If you go that route I would go aluminum hard pipe over the flex, smoother air flow. Just get the kit, buy the correct aluminum pipe and some 4ply couplers and clamps and mock it all up, kinda like the other ones they sell but those have the filters at the ends.

I run a home fabbed arrangement similar to your pix, air is picked up through 2 holes at the radiator support panel, it's good for 2 tenths and around 2 MPH. 360 / 4 barrel mild hydraulic roller, Eddies. Mid 11,s '68 dart.

If you go that route I would go aluminum hard pipe over the flex, smoother air flow. Just get the kit, buy the correct aluminum pipe and some 4ply couplers and clamps and mock it all up, kinda like the other ones they sell but those have the filters at the ends.

would just take longer to remove , and cost more !

would just take longer to remove , and cost more !

Take longer to remove not really, little more expensive yes, but smoother air would be better. Considering you could remove the aluminum pipe with two clamps undone, one at the air cleaner and the other at the rad support opening. Just my .02

I've been considering either the Spectre or one of these: Ram Air Box
It's hard to tell which I would choose by just looking at pictures. The odds of seeing them side by side are slim to none. I like the looks of the Air Inlet Systems version better, but I wonder which is built better?

Take longer to remove not really, little more expensive yes, but smoother air would be better. Considering you could remove the aluminum pipe with two clamps undone, one at the air cleaner and the other at the rad support opening. Just my .02

no way u can unscrew two clamps faster than pulling two alum. 3/16 t shaped pins straight up out of 3/16'' holes ,a the bulkhead flanges .

Don, where would you locate the inlets? I think it would work fine, cooler air into the engine is always a good thing.

Don, where would you locate the inlets? I think it would work fine, cooler air into the engine is always a good thing.

That’s the biggest issue with something like that. You have to get the air from somewhere that the air is always there.

You may be getting air where you place it at low speeds, but as your speed increases you may not have air there any longer.

Since most of us don’t have access to a wind tunnel, you have to test for it.

no way u can unscrew two clamps faster than pulling two alum. 3/16 t shaped pins straight up out of 3/16'' holes ,a the bulkhead flanges .

Okay compared to pins maybe not, but still wouldnt take that much longer to remove.

-
Back