anybody here into slot cars

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Anybody here into slot cars? Doesnt matter what scale, or if its drag race or road race.

Im into HO scale, got a 4 lane road race course set up on plywood, gonna probably get the auto world drag race setup and build a scale 1/4 mile, with a padded box at end of the shut down .

I hear 1/24 th scale drags are pretty intense. Home made soldered brass chassis, wheelie bars, and model kit bodies. Wish there was a 1/24th scale strip locally.

I picked these up at a yard sale with some track about ten years ago. I don't have a power supply or any ambition to set them up yet, but they're cool. 1/24 scale.

Attachments

• xk front.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 263
  • XK1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 244
  • XK2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 239
  • vette 1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 239
  • vette 2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 260
  • no 26 1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 228
  • no 26 3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 241
I picked these up at a yard sale with some track about ten years ago. I don't have a power supply or any ambition to set them up yet, but they're cool. 1/24 scale.

What you have are 2 revell kits. The ferrari 250 gto, and the light blue car, looks like it may be a chapparal. These are very valuable to collectors, the other car looks like a lexan body, dunno the manufacturer. I wouldent race these, as the plastic and lexan is probably very brittle by now. Make grest shelf queens for the collector of vintage slot car stuff tho. My best guess on age on these would be mid 1960s , prob 1965.

Yes ! I have two carerra evolution sets, and some cars ... Was thinking of converting to digital .

HO scale for me. Been collecting them since 1968. I've got about 1500 cars [new & vintage]

Wow, i got lots of restored vintage A/FX i dont play with, tho they all do run. My runners are Tomy SRT chassis, on chopped and modified auto world bodies.

HA ...great minds think alike :D

i just started a thread recently about slot cars

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=241192

only thing is for me, im not so much into the vintage stuff .....im trying to put togther a set up with 15 year old or newer stuff .......either way no matter build dates slot cars are an invention that if i could meet the guy who invented them i would probably kiss him .....pure genius .....slot cars are one of the greatest things i have ever seen .....stopped me in my tracks, the first time i ever saw one set up and running :prayer:

1/32 scale for me,Strombecker 66 Barracuda's, Eldon Chargers' Shut Down etc.

1/32 scale for me,Strombecker 66 Barracuda's, Eldon Chargers' Shut Down etc.

I scored this for FISHYPETE on eBay awhile back, a new old stock store/dealer banner for the 1966 Barracuda Strombecker set, coolest thing ever, never seen another one...pictured with it is a 1/25th scale dealer promo :glasses7:

Attachments

• Picture 3939.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Picture 3941.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Picture 3940.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Picture 3945.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 206
HA ...great minds think alike :D

i just started a thread recently about slot cars

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=241192

only thing is for me, im not so much into the vintage stuff .....im trying to put togther a set up with 15 year old or newer stuff .......either way no matter build dates slot cars are an invention that if i could meet the guy who invented them i would probably kiss him .....pure genius .....slot cars are one of the greatest things i have ever seen .....stopped me in my tracks, the first time i ever saw one set up and running :prayer:

i am also on a fun family site called HOslotracer.com all of you should check it out. lots of great ideas there, lots of cool stuff, its kinda like fabo for slot cars. im addicted to both sites. hope to see ya there. im moparmat3K on hoslotracer or ' HOsr for short.

theres a contributor to HOsr called budshocars.com has some cool stuff track, cars etc. he sells the auto world 3 gear X traction cars, they are a cheap knock off of the old 3 gear aurora afx magnatraction chassis. a little work on em and they will run good tho. brushes, springs, magnets, and pickup shoes will interchange with the old afx 3 gear chassis so its a win for me with my vintage stuff.

auto world came out with racing rigs too. pretty cool stuff. the TOMY A/FX cars are a little pricey but well made, run great, and are very detailed for the collector series cars. the collector clear bodies have interiors in them. the new TOMY A/FX track has the most types of track available. 6", 9", 12", 15", and 18" radius turns, you can make a 10 lane track with all those radiuses tho typical of HO are 2, 4 and 6 lanes. tomy also has 9" and 12" radius banked turns, plus all manner of straight track lengths, and 22Volt power supplies. tomy is easily the best in the business today.

i look forward to seeing y'all on HOsr.

matt

Those 1/24 scale cars are bad ***. I used to be fully addicted to slot cars, but I don't know where any tracks are now. The last one shut down in my city a few years ago. Its tracks were huge!

When I was probably 12, I made one car's frame out of brass tube and solder and that contact plastic piece was on a long hinged tube. Then when I gave the car full throttle, it would do a wheelie all the way down the track! LOL Good times.....wish I could find a new place, a new track. I've still got about 3 cars and some controllers stashed away.

I've gotten rid of about three fourths of my slot at stuff but still have a lot. I have not been doing much with it but occasionally get to race at a few of my buddies. I've got a bit of everything, had HO as a kid which I still like and the current 1/32 scale stuff is great. There are so many new cars coming out its impossible to keep up with what's available. Also there are guys making great items like new tires for the shutdown race sets ( google Tiny Motors).

Two of the three cars in the pictures above are made by Marx in the 70s, the Ferrari and Chaparral. The third orangish car appears to be a very rare and desirable Monogram 1/25 scale McLaren Elva but it has a rare vacuum formed body instead of an injection molded one like a model - it might be surprisingly valuable.

It's kind of a messed up hobby, there are many different facets and basic items are NOT standardized like power, controls and track - totally confusing for beginners or returnees to the hobby. Plus the history has always been to make your car better instead of equal performance. I just want reasonably scale models that when raced against one another they are controllable and the performance similar.

Overall it can be a really fun and simple hobby.

I've gotten rid of about three fourths of my slot at stuff but still have a lot. I have not been doing much with it but occasionally get to race at a few of my buddies. I've got a bit of everything, had HO as a kid which I still like and the current 1/32 scale stuff is great. There are so many new cars coming out its impossible to keep up with what's available. Also there are guys making great items like new tires for the shutdown race sets ( google Tiny Motors).

Two of the three cars in the pictures above are made by Marx in the 70s, the Ferrari and Chaparral. The third orangish car appears to be a very rare and desirable Monogram 1/25 scale McLaren Elva but it has a rare vacuum formed body instead of an injection molded one like a model - it might be surprisingly valuable.

It's kind of a messed up hobby, there are many different facets and basic items are NOT standardized like power, controls and track - totally confusing for beginners or returnees to the hobby. Plus the history has always been to make your car better instead of equal performance. I just want reasonably scale models that when raced against one another they are controllable and the performance similar.

Overall it can be a really fun and simple hobby.

HO is pretty standardized. I have many different brands in my collection, but my favorites, and what i have most of are A/FX. Older tyco cars seemed toyish to me, ditto for other brands, i remember the commercials with jackie stewart saying Aurora A/FX is the closest thing to real racing. I have a shaker plate brass chassis riggin HO semi truck with dodge cab. Its pretty cool. I need to get a few parts from the new riggin company to make her run again, a few old brass pan tycopros too. These are interesting, nothing as cool as afx tho.

I agree the other sizes of cars can be a bit bewildering but the slots, and pickup rail spacing on these havent changed much. I dont care for the carrera and ninco sets or digital 1/32 plastic body cars. I raced 1/32 flexi cars with lexan bodies, to me thats true 1/32 . Ninco, scalextrics, and carrera are just plastic toys to me.

-
Back