Anybody here running faceplated stickshifts?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody on here runs faceplated 4 speeds/ 5speeds/ 6 speeds etc....not slick shifted but faceplated....how do you like them? what kind of car/ power/ timeslip do you have them behind? and how do you like em on the street?

What do you mean by faceplated ??? I've never heard of that term in my 35 years...

faceplated involves removing the synchros among other mods....proshifting is also available...here is a link to it on liberty's site

http://www.libertysgears.com/faceplate-proshift.htm

faceplating and pro shifting both make high rpm shifting and high rpm powershifting a breeze, but driving them on the street is like driving a big rig...there are no synchros so you have to rev match and double clutch

I run a Liberty modded 833 in my Demon. Pro-shifted 2nd and face-plated 3rd and 4th. At the time I had mine modified Liberty wasn't face-plating second. They were looking into it though. If they offer it now I would recommend having 2nd face-plated. The face-plated gears are a little easier to downshift. Up-shifting I can't tell a difference. Before the mods I used to have a problem power-shifting 3rd...hit and miss. I've yet to miss a gear after the changes. It does take some getting used to driving on the street. Like mshred says...matching engine/tranny speeds. Once you get that down, it isn't so bad, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver. I do drive mine on the street some, but not a lot. My combo is a '71 340 Demon (3250 w/me in it), 11.70's @ 118.

Jerico from what i know actually cautions using their roadrace trans in drag applications...those mods that liberty does should hold a tko trans into the 10's in a drag car, so im not sure what you are talking about...anyone else driving faceplated trannies on here?

How are you going to drive it on the street with NO synchros ??? it'll go up but you have to stop to put it in low.
You should really be asking if anyone has tried to drive a liberty on the street...Trying to down shift a liberty or Jerico on the street just KILLS those expensive new blocking rings.
Yes the big ears on the faceplated gears are great at the drag strip but will not work on the street.
Does Liberty say that there stuff will work on the street???? I don't think so

How are you going to drive it on the street with NO synchros ??? it'll go up but you have to stop to put it in low.
You should really be asking if anyone has tried to drive a liberty on the street...Trying to down shift a liberty or Jerico on the street just KILLS those expensive new blocking rings.
Yes the big ears on the faceplated gears are great at the drag strip but will not work on the street.
Does Liberty say that there stuff will work on the street???? I don't think so

you can drive them on the street...they work perfectly fine...big rigs have no syncrhos in their transmissions and drive the exact same way...liberty does say there stuff works on the street, its all a matter of what your willing to put up with...lots of guys drive them on the street...im not interested in a liberty or jerico for the street as they are much more than i need, and yes they arent the greatest for street driving...here is a video of a proshifted mustang in traffic...watch the technique, something many guys have mastered driving their "crashboxes" around...with a little practice it comes natural...only difference with proshifting is that it has a tendency to pop out of gear and the gears have to be redressed and deburred after so many miles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-MABhwPV00

I run a Liberty modded 833 in my Demon. Pro-shifted 2nd and face-plated 3rd and 4th. At the time I had mine modified Liberty wasn't face-plating second. They were looking into it though. If they offer it now I would recommend having 2nd face-plated. The face-plated gears are a little easier to downshift. Up-shifting I can't tell a difference. Before the mods I used to have a problem power-shifting 3rd...hit and miss. I've yet to miss a gear after the changes. It does take some getting used to driving on the street. Like mshred says...matching engine/tranny speeds. Once you get that down, it isn't so bad, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver. I do drive mine on the street some, but not a lot. My combo is a '71 340 Demon (3250 w/me in it), 11.70's @ 118.

have any vids of it? sounds sweet!

Is he dubble clutching? Why? My dad drives a 05 Peterbuilt and he don't even know how to dubble clutch. Wast of time.

Is he dubble clutching? Why? My dad drives a 05 Peterbuilt and he don't even know how to dubble clutch. Wast of time.

its funny you say that because my dad is a semi truck mechanic and he told me that he cant double clutch for the life of him either lol...my dad actually shifts without the clutch, dont know how he does it, but he does...hes been a mechanic on big rigs for over 30 years so he must have some knowledge...the whole point of double clutching in that video though is because the gears are proshifted, if he was to clutch as normal he would wear them out alot quicker since the engagement lugs start to get burred up after awhile, meaning they have to be redressed...with a faceplated trans, you still double clutch, but just for longevity's sake... when you rip it you clutch as normal (barely having to as well) and youll notice in the video thats how he drives it when he rips it at the end

Thats cool.

I don't know either. My dad told me when you get the RPM just right and matched up to the trans it just goes right in to gear with out pushing in the clutch. I need to get my CDL but I realy don't like them long runs. They are so boring.

Thats cool.

I don't know either. My dad told me when you get the RPM just right and matched up to the trans it just goes right in to gear with out pushing in the clutch. I need to get my CDL but I realy don't like them long runs. They are so boring.

LOL once again same thing my dad says...he just knows what rpm will work to shift gears without even using the clutch..he was putting it into perspective for me by saying that new truck trannies are still manual with no synchros, but instead of the driver shifting, there is an electric motor that sense correct rpm to shift the gears on its own...so not a full manual, but in a sense gives an idea of how the shifting can be done clutchless at the right rpm...many guys with faceplated/proshifted trannies state that when shifting at high rpms you barely even touch the clutch for it to go into gear- it almost wants to fall in...some dont use the clutch at all

mshred...sorry no video's. Got the car put away for the winter. Next year I'll have a digital camera.

i gotta get on my winter storage this weekend man! lucky you, you get snow like me lol...when you get that camera, post some vids up of stick shift mopar drag racing action! especially with a faceplated tranny...what do you shift at? and what are your techniques or views on using the clutch on the street and strip? do you ever double clutch, not use the clutch, etc.

The faceplated stuff in the vid IS better than driving a race Jerico on the street...But trust me it gets OLD real fast and by old I mean real tiring herding the car around town...When your young and you've never had anything like that before it's an experiance...
When your coming home a 3 AM on a cold Sept night and the rockers are clacking the trans is growling the diff is whining and it sounds like your driving inside a 45 gal drum...that gets old after a while...
We all did it when we were young now we want our 800 hp street cars to be just as civilized as our everyday cars...I don't even like it when my 833 makes gear noise that's why I run 80-90 in it...I have no problem running 800 ft lbs and 830 hp in front of an 833...once you get the clutch right everything else is gravy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YilvlLxgv9U

i guess it all comes down to personal preference...some guys are willing to live with it and some arent, and it usually is the young and eager like me who are willing to...to me all that noise you mentioned is why i love these cars! lol I actually think that it would be pretty damn cool to drive like that, considering the skill it takes...i mean if the big rig guys can do it, why cant I? but to each his own i guess...thats a sick gtx in the vid- is that the 800hp one? and yes i agree, most all of it is in the clutch

-
Back