Anybody knowledgeable on Ford Transmissions?

-

R4Sedan

Larry
Reaction score
If so maybe somebody can help. I have an '88 LX Mustang has a 5.0 with the AOD.
When I drive it around town and put it in O/D and keep acceleration around 45 mph maybe a tad less the car seems like it's not sure if it wants to go into o/d or stay in drive. If I drive on the interstate 50/55 above no problem. know I can drive around town in Drive but will that hurt my transmission? The car is equipped with a 2.73 rear. Thanks for any advise. BTW the transmission was rebuilt before I got it. And is a clean unmolested car.
Thanks, Larry

waaay too slow to be going into O/D and expecting it to stay there in my opinion. those gears are pretty tall. won't hurt to drive around in drive

Great cars, I had a 92 GT. I miss that car. Like Kursplat said with 2.73 that OD won't kick in at 45. Jump to 3.55 or 3.73 and you'll get what you want and some smiles along the way.

Yes, I didn't think it should. I thought about going up to 3.55's but it really runs well and originally came with the 2.73's. I don't mind driving around in D just didn't know if it would hurt the transmission. I've had several of these cars over the years, but this is the first Auto I've had.

just my personal experience but i don't think ford ever figured out how to build an automatic. the standards i never had trouble with, they sure liked 3 on the tree tho. my current work vehicle is a 2017 transit & i think the tranny in it is iffy.

Lots of them acted exactually like that. No harm in driving in drive. A tranny flush may or may not cure it. U may have to live with it. Kim

mustang coupe 10.jpg
Thanks for the replies fella's. I took it on a nice 20 mile ride it acted the way it's suppose too. Maybe I'm just to used to my new truck and old Barracuda. lol. Here is a picture of the Coupe.

-
Back