Anyone do their own alignments at home?

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
I am building an altered wheelbase car with a custom suspension and I have my wheels and tires I will be using for the front end. Now I need to get this thing close using shims so I can see if I need to trim the fronts of the fenders or not. What tools do you use for caster/camber/toe? Final alignment will be done at a shop of course.

I think if I can put enough caster in this I will clear the front edge of the fenders without trimming. It has manual rack and pinion if that helps.

Camber I used a level and toe I used toe plates and a tape. I didn't touch the caster.

Got it to the shop for a pro alignment good enough.

Summit/Jegs have nice bubble gauges, toe and other items in their Circle track departments. I use magnetic hub mount Caster/Camber gauge and also have wheel rim adapters.Got a set of turn tables from a old Annco alignment rack. Set toe with a trammel bar.Set tire center line with a scribe.With 2 people you can set toe with a tape measure.Camber as said above can be made with a level against the rim.Making sure the car is on a level surface,You can also set Caster with a level.Caster is the forward - or rearward + tilt of the upper ball joint/kingpin.Kinda tough to keep the level in place,even with the spindle, magnet or tape ? turn the tire front in towards the frame full,place level at zero,turn the tire toward the rear (out) frame rail.Read the bubble on the level.Make both sides the same. This will get you in the ball park. Hope this helps.

-
Back