Anyone done Under Dash A/C ?

-

71Demon

Reaction score
Anyone done an under dash a/c on an A Body. Looking for one that fits and works good. Hopefully someone has had some experience with this. Thanks

Two vendors to check out are Classic Auto Air and Vintage A/C. They both have kits for A bodies. I put a Classic kit in, nine years ago and it still works. I did modify it for fresh air and I had to tint the windows and make a headliner (convertible).

I guess you really need to come check out my build now! I'm putting a Vintage Air Gen II in my 71 Demon. I've used this in two other vehicles and did not have any problems. This one will be easier since I have the windshield and dash out of the vehicle. Lots of working room!

I think he's asking anout an under dash unit, not one where you replace your heater box. I was thinking of doing the same thing on mine since I didn't want to lose my fresh air vents. Still thinking about it. Vintage makes one and so does Old Air Products. Not sure if they fit, especially with a center console, and how well they work.

I'm wondering about the 'underdash' units too.

Saw a complete setup on ebag the other day for like $500 bucks. Came with compressor, dryer, condensor, hoses, and the underdash unit. But no brackets, completely universal fit type thing.
Thinking seriously about it for my dart.

Years ago I had aftermarket underdash in my 70 440-6 RR. Liked it a lot. Simple, and if you needed to do some work (R12 was cheap then LOL) you could yank the whole darn thing out

But of course that car had no console, and was larger than an A

Lately I've been contemplating a TRUNK mount unit. I have not figured a good way to get supply ducts pointed "up front" --- don't like the sounds of them pointing out of the packing tray

Yep I was really thinking about doing the under dash unit. Looks correct for the era and I'm not really to happy with the look of the vents hanging under the dash on the vintage air system. If I could route the vintage air vents thru a factory style under dash unit face I'd like that. Just not sure that would work. Anyone know if there is an option for putting the vents into the dash on any of the other type units?

I agree the 4 round underdash AC looks vintage. Something that would have been added to a non-factory AC car back in the day. To me those kind of mods fit well and don't detract as much from the originality of a classic car. Its like that cheeta shifter. It may be the best but it screams 1985. Make it look like and old B&M or Hurst and you'd have something.

I agree the 4 round underdash AC looks vintage.

I think the 4 round mostly went in Fords?
The dealer-installed Chrysler underdash in my folks' '64 Dart wagon was two rectangular vents with louvers and vanes, and two circular-with-a-slot on the sides you could twist up/down, but no left/right control.

I think he's asking anout an under dash unit, not one where you replace your heater box. I was thinking of doing the same thing on mine since I didn't want to lose my fresh air vents. Still thinking about it. Vintage makes one and so does Old Air Products. Not sure if they fit, especially with a center console, and how well they work.
have you looked into the slimline underdash A/c units? I've seen them somewhere where they were pretty slim. in the 2-3 inch thickness range

sort of like this. of course you still need to pick up a condenser(a lot of people like the parallel flow condenser saying it reduces head pressure and just works better) , custom hoses and compressor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLIMLINE-UNDERDASH-A-C-EVAPORATOR-BLOWER-AIR-CONDITION-/220082981292

I've been toying with the idea of using this Vintage Air Mark IV, It looks close to what I had on my first Duster in 1978 but with all modern components.

VTA-672001VHY_zpsda183738.jpg

Anyone done an under dash a/c on an A Body. Looking for one that fits and works good. Hopefully someone has had some experience with this. Thanks

.. for my slant-6. Pls note that the kit comes complete with all parts for a V8, so I had to obtain a mounting kit from another vendor. It wasn't expensive though. The control unit from Dakota Digital was, though.

It's important to note 2 things, one small and the other quite large ; Vintage Air units recirculate interior air, so getting a source of outside air requires a bit of engineering (I keep a vent window open), and the installation can take a significant amount of time and extra engineering (especially for a slant-6), as the tolerances on a slant-6 are super-tight (4mm from the air-conditioner compressor to the shroud of the electric fan). Be prepared for that.

In the end, though, it's worth it. The system works well.

Zuluman

Attachments

• DSC02204.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 918
  • DSC03069.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,024
  • 1149065_512736142139755_679853219_n.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 872
66Dvert, yes I did think of doing the slimline thing. I think Old Air products makes one. I would rather buy a kit instead of buying the evap and then having to piece together the compressor/dryer/condenser/lines/brackes, etc, you get the idea. I'm just hesitant as to how well they work. I live in south florida so summers are brutal and long. In fact we're still hitting 87 - 88 mid day with high humidity. I would hate to spend $1200 or so and end up with a system that has a hard time cooling the car.

66Dvert, yes I did think of doing the slimline thing. I think Old Air products makes one. I would rather buy a kit instead of buying the evap and then having to piece together the compressor/dryer/condenser/lines/brackes, etc, you get the idea. I'm just hesitant as to how well they work. I live in south florida so summers are brutal and long. In fact we're still hitting 87 - 88 mid day with high humidity. I would hate to spend $1200 or so and end up with a system that has a hard time cooling the car.

if you live south of me by much (I'm between Tampa and Ocala) then you'll probably need to go to a parallel flow condenser anyway. along with the Sanden conversion(that cones in the kit but I didn't like the placement of the hoses or connection types) so it's pretty much a "buy extra parts anyway" kit that you'll end up buying. I looked at Vintage and classic for my dart and decided for that money(since I couldn't get all the stuff I wanted) to just get a factory box. drill some holes and upgrade to the better components for a cooler and more efficient A/C system( oversized parallel condenser and a specific compressor that had the line connectors that I wanted in the place I wanted them, plus custom made hoses) that I wasn't going to get with either vintage or classic. I wanted to put the hoses and drier locations where I knew they would look similar to stock but be an upgrade.

not saying that you won't get a decent system from either Classic or vintage. they do look awesome and I do like their controls, but I wanted the "stuff" I wanted for a good cooling car and it would have been Wayyyyy to expensive (for me) to upgrade from those companies since the stuff didn't come in their "kits".

I have seen a few guys that have had problems keeping their cars "cool", could be user error too! I have not heard if they were able to talk to either of those companies and get their cars working right yet either. I usually see a couple of them once or twice a month and they haven't said one way or another if the problem was fixed or even what it was originally. no Mopars but how hard can it be to cool a dinky 33 Ford or a bigger 36 Chevy business coupe?

I'm going to see when the budget allows about getting a /6 bracket from charlie_s for my dart and a later model bracket for the wife's dart (v88))

Zuluman,

You should post pix of your valiant buildup. Looks like a nice car. I like the pic of the stitched dash pad.

Nice pix. I am undecided on which way to go. Either delete everything heater related, rebuild my stock heater box, or go with an aftermarket A/C setup.

Matt

Eventually gonna put a/c in my 69 Dart vert... and majority of feedback I have gotten over past few yrs has me leaning towards Classic Air.
Went to Garlits in Ocala this weekend and saw a few cars w/added aftermarket a/c.
All of them were Classic Air.

The appearance of the add-on A/C units back in the 60s varied more because of the manufacturer than what the application was. Also, the ones from the early 60s looked different than the late 60s early 70s units did. As time went by they were restyled to try to make them look more modern.

The big 3 all offered them, starting somewhere in the late 50s and continued into the 70s. I'm not sure when they were discontinued, but I do know that Chrysler offered them well into the 70s for B-vans.

We installed lots of them at Montgomery Ward auto center in the 70's,,Called them knee knockers.

I'm going to see when the budget allows about getting a /6 bracket from charlie_s for my dart and a later model bracket for the wife's dart (v88))

I have the mount kits available, but my supplier gave me a hugh price increase. Which means I would have to raise my prices again. When the units I have in stock are sold, that will be the end of them. I don't sell that many per year, and since I have to buy a minimum quantity, I just can't afford to have a few thousand dollars sitting on the shelf.

Anyone interested send me a PM

I'm more than happy with Classic Air....Being able to use the existing heater/fan control panel and just adding the underdash vents kinda keeps the factory look. Brrrrrrr...it's cold LOL

Attachments

• P1100147.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 851
I have a question on the underdash unit. I have a 68 Dart, factory AC car that someone removed the underdash unit. I just bought one from a 67 barracuda. Figured both A Bodies, close in year. But the one I just got doesn't look like it is compatible with my heater box?

Two vendors to check out are Classic Auto Air and Vintage A/C. They both have kits for A bodies. I put a Classic kit in, nine years ago and it still works. I did modify it for fresh air and I had to tint the windows and make a headliner (convertible).
How did you mod it to keep fresh air vent on passenger side?

-
Back