Anyone got a few spare swastikas kicking around?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
I figured that would catch your attention

I always loved the looks of the German messerschmitt 109s, and especially the paint on them

With a little time on my hands I bought a couple a 1/48 kits of these that will go together in a few hours (I think it's a 28 piece kit)

The decals are extremely basic and lacking a little
No numbers, no nose art and no swastikas

There was a card in the box with an address to send concers to, but considering that address is in Israel, I don't suppose they are gonna wanna send me any

So, any of you guys have a few 1/48 black swastikas kicking around ?

I had some o scale ones. Gimmie a couple of days to look. I'm back in the train room so it shouldn't take me long to find them......or not.

I'm done building BF-109s and have a rather thick stack of leftover decals I'm not going to use. Which variant or kit is it? I'll bet I can scare up something interesting.

"Hey honey, there's a Messerschmitt on the kitchen table, clean it up, would ya?"
(Rodney Dangerfield in, Easy Money)

I had some o scale ones. Gimmie a couple of days to look. I'm back in the train room so it shouldn't take me long to find them......or not.
that would be great, O scale is about the same as 1:48
the tail panel it would go on is a little under 1/2 by 1/2 so i think anywhere between 1/4 by 1/4 and 3/16 by 3/16 should do the trick

I'm done building BF-109s and have a rather thick stack of leftover decals I'm not going to use. Which variant or kit is it? I'll bet I can scare up something interesting.
awesome
the kit is the starfix BF 109 (the box says E, but the instructions claim G-6
fact of the matter is, im not trying to rebuild a particular plane, or even a particular theater or time
but i have a vision of what these planes looked like, and i really want to try my hand at making the "mottle" look right

(as a kid i used to build models and never got this right, i figured lets give it another shot)

i like the splinter camo on the upper fuselage and the yellow markings on this one (but not the mottling)

1692186839506.png

so, whatever you think would go well with this paint scheme
and perhaps one more in a desert camo (i got a second kit in the stash and might try that one in those colors)

thanks!

that would be great, O scale is about the same as 1:48
the tail panel it would go on is a little under 1/2 by 1/2 so i think anywhere between 1/4 by 1/4 and 3/16 by 3/16 should do the trick

awesome
the kit is the starfix BF 109 (the box says E, but the instructions claim G-6
fact of the matter is, im not trying to rebuild a particular plane, or even a particular theater or time
but i have a vision of what these planes looked like, and i really want to try my hand at making the "mottle" look right

(as a kid i used to build models and never got this right, i figured lets give it another shot)

i like the splinter camo on the upper fuselage and the yellow markings on this one (but not the mottling)

View attachment 1716128415

so, whatever you think would go well with this paint scheme
and perhaps one more in a desert camo (i got a second kit in the stash and might try that one in those colors)

thanks!
No. O scale IS 1:48. I'm still lookin. Got a few more places to go.

Could make your own decals if you have a good hand. I know I don't.
Or possibly a local decal place could make a few. I know my local guy can take a digital pic and create it.

Could make your own decals if you have a good hand. I know I don't.
Or possibly a local decal place could make a few. I know my local guy can take a digital pic and create it.
funny you mention that
about a decade ago, when i was doing a lot more moddeling, i actually used to make my own decals, and do some custom work for a small fee

i had sheets that were made for my printer, i would just download the image i needed, scale it and print it on the paper, then after it was done, i added a few coats of clear before cutting and applying it and it worked out pretty decent

(only downfall, i couldnt print white)

here is one i did, the marbling on the side
i scanned the original decal (which was a yellow panel with a red outline)
then got rid of the yellow and pasted the marble on it

had to print it on white paper to make the marble look good, but i had to be carefull how to cut the red outline so it wouldnt show a white halo)

1692191096728.png

Got the primer down, and the yellow
(Not sure about the yellow yet)

20230816_171036.jpg

I'm gonna say I don't have them anymore. I've looked in "just about" every place they'd be. There's one more place, but I'm gonna have to dig and I'm not ready to do that YET. Maybe when I get done laying track.

I'm gonna say I don't have them anymore. I've looked in "just about" every place they'd be. There's one more place, but I'm gonna have to dig and I'm not ready to do that YET. Maybe when I get done laying track.
I appreciate you looking for me

Robbed that kit out of the dumpster, eh? Sorry-obligatory cheap shot at Starfix, a company that really kinda deserves it :p

How 'bout this one? Not sure what I picked off it but it's 99% complete and plenty of extras for a second build:

280726-10105-69-pristine.jpg

Robbed that kit out of the dumpster, eh? Sorry-obligatory cheap shot at Starfix, a company that really kinda deserves it :p

How 'bout this one? Not sure what I picked off it but it's 99% complete and plenty of extras for a second build:

View attachment 1716128926

that one will do just fine
it looks like it has the swastikas i was hoping for, as well as the distinctives on the nose (not sure what they were called)

ill PM you my address

thanks !

and yes, the kit is horrible
the two halves of the fuselage no where near lined up, i probable sanded a whole 16th of the tail to make it look semi decent
luckily, im a lousy modeler, so it doesnt affect the finished product much

Got what I will use as the base blue laid down

Now it will probably sit for a week before I can get to it again

20230817_122235.jpg

I was able to lay down the first coat of my top camouflage

I was going to go with Grey, but for some reason I ended up grabbing "mud brown" instead
I'll put some green over it in a splinter pattern and put some of the green mottling on as well

(I'll draw some more in with a brush, but so far I'm pleased with it )

20230817_190805.jpg

20230817_190811.jpg

Found a few moments to put the second coat one
I'm not happy with the overspray, but hopefully that will clear up when I try to weather it

20230818_165446.jpg

20230818_165454.jpg

20230818_165502.jpg

20230818_165502.jpg

Nope, I used them on a luftwafe 69 Daytona model with missiles back when I was a kid lol

Cousin Ray shot down three of them sumbitches.

View attachment 1716130917
If he's still around, tell him I said thanks!

In case you are familiar with operation "market garden" I was born and spend the first 20 years of my live in that corridor
(In fact, when I moved to the US 20 years ago, the locals still called it that)

Now, I speak a little German, and I don't mind doing it, but I am sure grateful it's was optional

If he's still around, tell him I said thanks!

In case you are familiar with operation "market garden" I was born and spend the first 20 years of my live in that corridor
(In fact, when I moved to the US 20 years ago, the locals still called it that)

Now, I speak a little German, and I don't mind doing it, but I am sure grateful it's was optional
Ray would be 101. Thanks, but we lost him in late 2016. He would talk a lot about his experiences except air to air combat. He was a young man, having enlisted at 17 before hostilities began in Europe, spent all six years of war in service. He turned 23 just after VE Day.

A lot of heavy fighting in your old home area. I'm a history geek. I'd be all over that. Well, after girls and hot rods at age 20. And when I could get army leave. :rolleyes:

Ray would be 101. Thanks, but we lost him in late 2016. He would talk a lot about his experiences except air to air combat. He was a young man, having enlisted at 17 before hostilities began in Europe, spent all six years of war in service. He turned 23 just after VE Day.

A lot of heavy fighting in your old home area. I'm a history geek. I'd be all over that. Well, after girls and hot rods at age 20. And when I could get army leave. :rolleyes:
It's funny, there wasn't a whole lot of focus on the US in history class back then

They never mentioned 1776, or the Gettysburg adress, but they honed in quite well on your activities between 1940 and 1945

Back to the plane
I'm not totally happy with it, but it's starting to look like something

(One of the complaints people have about this kit is that the scale is of...which doesn't become apparent untill you start to add properly scaled decals)

This was my first time using a pinwash, and I did a light chalk detailing over top

Not done yet, but she's got her feet under her again

20230823_120028.jpg

20230823_120033.jpg

20230823_120043.jpg

20230823_120100.jpg

If Ya didn't find the swastikas let me know, I have a sheet of all sizes.

It's funny, there wasn't a whole lot of focus on the US in history class back then

They never mentioned 1776, or the Gettysburg adress, but they honed in quite well on your activities between 1940 and 1945

Back to the plane
I'm not totally happy with it, but it's starting to look like something

(One of the complaints people have about this kit is that the scale is of...which doesn't become apparent untill you start to add properly scaled decals)

This was my first time using a pinwash, and I did a light chalk detailing over top

Not done yet, but she's got her feet under her again

View attachment 1716132208

View attachment 1716132209

View attachment 1716132210

View attachment 1716132211
Sometimes I'd like to get back into building kits. But I really don't need another hobby at the moment.

"Damned Nazi bastard!!"
Movie director Burke... calling Karl the butler, a Nazi....in the party scene.
from the movie: The Exorcist

A little time has passed so I decided to put on some winter camouflage

20240201_131948.jpg

20240201_131950.jpg

20240208_073917.jpg

20240208_073920.jpg

-
Back