anyone install long tube headers on 72 Dart swinger

-

BabyBee1

Reaction score
any information on installation of long tube headers on a 70 to 76 Dart swinger?
I have a 72 swinger SB with PS and 727 automatic (floor shifter) thinking about using the Dougs headers #453, any information on fit and installation would be great,

I have NOT used the Doug’s 453’s . I have installed many other brands in various A body’s. As soon as you mentioned ps I think you are on the right track. Ps makes this job MUCH closer in proper fit. The less expensive headers just don’t do real well with the ps. Maybe also TTI but check with someone who had used them with your EXACT combo.Half way through this with the cheap stuff you will be wishing you spent 10 times what you did. Swingn’…

I helped a friend install the D453 headers on his 72 Duster, but it didn't have power steering. I would check to make sure the are compatible with power steering.

I have NOT used the Doug’s 453’s . I have installed many other brands in various A body’s. As soon as you mentioned ps I think you are on the right track. Ps makes this job MUCH closer in proper fit. The less expensive headers just don’t do real well with the ps. Maybe also TTI but check with someone who had used them with your EXACT combo.Half way through this with the cheap stuff you will be wishing you spent 10 times what you did. Swingn’…

And still have to dent them for clearance.
It’s a lot easier to ding cheaper hedders. :D

Installed Dougs on a 70 Swinger and the fit was tight but better than expected. It was a power steering car and there was about 1/8” clearance between the tube and steering gearbox.

Boosted probably has the info you are looking for..!! Sounds promising..!! 1/8” in A body header clearance is a country mile..!! And Beast is right on..!! The more they cost the less likely you want to whack them with a hammer..!!

Same situation as yours except column shift. Changed rag joint out for Flaming River U joint. Ebay 96 Dakota starter. No dents needed. Even used studs for the outside header bolts. Installed with provided instructions.

Its pretty easy if you get the car 24-36" off the ground, remove the column, unbolt motor mounts from K frame, and starter and the drivers side can be installed from the bottom with the motor lifted and rocked over to the passenger side. Passenger side is easy and can go in from the top. Might have to drop the center steering link, I can't remember.

Put TTi long tube headers in a 70 Dart with a 360/727 and power steering, and also in a 75 Dart Sport with the same combination and zero problems. Just make absolutely sure that you follow the instructions to the letter. Clearance is a little tight on the steering box, but it does fit.

-
Back