Anyone know the proper tool ?

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking to get my windshield & back glass trim off 70 dart so I can replace my roof skin
Pics & who makes it please & thank you.

"Tool" I use for window trim to pull the clip so it releases. Carpet knife with the tip reshaped on a grinding wheel.
beerestoration2015 605.JPG
beerestoration2015 606.JPG

Regardless of the tool, technique is the winner . cool mod.

And here's a clue... The tool is shaped like a rocker, you can swivel the tool and it will release the clip... But now the tool is locking the trim instead of the clip.... So use the tool like a rocker to loosen the clip but then swivel the tool so the rocker isn't touching the trim but the hook is still holding the clip off the trim...

I think I'm having an issue with the old vinyl top & the rust pushing up against the back of the trim so I can't get some of the clips to release.

I think I'm having an issue with the old vinyl top & the rust pushing up against the back of the trim so I can't get some of the clips to release.
At some point, SOMETIMES, you can slide the molding off but can risk damage. Sounds like you need a new top anyway.

At some point, SOMETIMES, you can slide the molding off but can risk damage. Sounds like you need a new top anyway.
Yeah, I'm going to try and rake out what's hindering the release of the clip, possibly try to pry lightly up on the bottom of the trim at the seam as I release the clip. Honestly I feel kinda like a clip is beating me after all of my mechanical skill.

A pudy knife wrapped in blue tape is used to lift up while the hook tool compresses the clip.

99.9 percent of the time the clip and or trim is glued on because some prior *** hat damaged the clip.

You are likely fighting the sikaflex.....

A pudy knife wrapped in blue tape is used to lift up while the hook tool compresses the clip.

99.9 percent of the time the clip and or trim is glued on because some prior *** hat damaged the clip.

You are likely fighting the sikaflex.....
Ah that makes sense. Yeah sikaflex doesn't give up easy either. Well hopefully I can save the trim if not it's weight reduction lol

You may try running a razor blade under the trim while lifting up with the puddy knife. That can help also.

I use to do auto glass as a kid and I glued a lot of trim and or clips back on........
:)

You may try running a razor blade under the trim while lifting up with the puddy knife. That can help also.

I use to do auto glass as a kid and I glued a lot of trim and or clips back on........
:)
Thanks for the tip

Success, I have a 5 in 1 paint tool that was able to pop the clip far enough down, but I did scrape out the vinyl top remnants & some glue. Luckily it wasn't recently sealed.
I was in luck to start with the back since it was already started.

-
Back