Anyone Rebuilt an Original Style Vacuum Advance

-

chewy

Some old guy...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 273 started running a little funky, and in testing, the vacuum advance has quit pulling. I think it needs a new diaphram (although, if I could get little darts running around, it wouldnt hurt my feelings). hehe,

Anyways, I dont want to put one of the stamped reproductions on it, as this is the original distributor for the car.

I've heard the original ones can be rebuilt, but would like a little advice on materials I'll need.

In the meantime, how far to advance the timing - sans vacuum advance?

--Chewy.

Sounds like you have a Prestolite distributor in there, with cast iron body and unscrewable end cap/vacuum nipple on the vacuum advance pod. These weren't meant to be rebuilt any more than the ones with non-removable end caps were; you'll note the two metal halves are crimped together. Your options are a new one without removable end cap or a NOS original-type replacement. I am fairly sure I have a NOS complete Prestolite distributor for that engine (w/vacuum advance); is yours single-point or dual-point?

Hi /6Dan,

Its a Dual Point. Part#'s on the tag: PrestoLite 2444853 Above Autolite Part# 1BS-4013.

PM me.

--Tom

Well, until I figure out what todo with the vacuum on the dual point, PowerWagonPaul helped me setup and install the GM Ignition Module and convert over to Electronic Ignition. Was very non-invasive, and cant really tell it is even there. Had to crimp together 4 wires, install a electronic distributor, that I already had, bolt the control module up to a heat sink, bolt it to existing hole on firewall, jump the resistor, and hook up the wires.

Paul said slantsixdan had posted something paul used when paul converted is valiant over and thats what we looked at when hooking this up.

Thanks again Paul and thanks to /6Dan also.

Some Pics of the electronic ignition.

Attachments

• AddedIgnition0.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 246
  • AddedIgnition1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 256
  • AddedIgnition2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 269
  • AddedIgnition3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 273
I found an NOS Style advance. Apparently, the dual point on the '65 Prestolite distributor uses the same can from 57-59 Chryslers. In researching the part number, I got back that far.

I found a site that had about 18 of them for $30 (Not sure how old the inventory number is).

I had been in contact with a guy on EBay about some he had posted. We went back and forth with pictures and he sold me one for the same price. Works perfectly again.

Ran into a miss problem on the HEI changeover I did. 1 Broken distributor, 1 defective rebuilt, missing on one cylinder below certain RPM. 2nd defective rebuilt also missing on one cylindar below certain rpm. Caused complete replacement of wires, cap, rotor. Problem went away once, but I moved the distributor to time and it came right back.

When I put the dual point back in, all of those new ignition problems vanished. Everything running smooth and loud.

Glad you found the part you needed. As for your problems with the electronic distributors: "Rebuilt" ("remanufactured") parts are junk.

Glad you found the part you needed. As for your problems with the electronic distributors: "Rebuilt" ("remanufactured") parts are junk.

I figured that out. The problem with the first distributor was a bent breaker plate to where the pickup had very wide gap on top and small gap at the bottom. Second one was almost square on the pickup, but still had issue.

Yesterday, Paul showed me where a distributor was in a smashed belvedere that had a receipt in the trunk from jegs for the conversion kit < 2 years old. This one is very solid, has the stainless collar instead of the plastic one. That is now what I have on the shelf for when I eventually try this again.

That distibutor ( 2nd one) may be clocked differently than the 1st one. I ve tried the stainless one on a friends car and had to advance it to where it allmost pointed forward.To check this put the distributors side by side and put them both at top dead center #1 then look at the slot for the intermediate shaft,see if they are pointing in the same direction. Cure this with a twist of the intermediate shaft.

-
Back