anyone running a th400 hydramatic?

-

340duster340

Reaction score
anyone running a th400 hydramatic? just curious to see how it fits in the trans tunnel, and any mods that were needed for the transplant

Your kidding right? Why would anybody want to run a TH400 when they can run a better torqueflite 727 for a bunch less money?

th400 is just as strong -- a friend of mine builds them so i can get @ cost. so it would be cheaper for me...much cheaper.

727 is likely where i will go, but just wanted to see what others are running.

i likely will see 600HP / 600 ft-lbs max (? rough guess i havent built the motor yet) so i don't need to go crazy.

th400 is just as strong -- a friend of mine builds them so i can get @ cost. so it would be cheaper for me...much cheaper.

If your friend is a professional tranny rebuilder, he should be able to get parts for a 727 from his suppliers. If he can do a th400, he can do a 727 for you. It may be cheaper to have him do the chevy tranny for you, but the cost to get it mounted to a Mopar engine will make it a wash or worse.

My 2 cents.

If your friend is a professional tranny rebuilder, he should be able to get parts for a 727 from his suppliers. If he can do a th400, he can do a 727 for you. It may be cheaper to have him do the chevy tranny for you, but the cost to get it mounted to a Mopar engine will make it a wash or worse.

My 2 cents.

Exactly. Adapters are pretty dang expensive and cutting off the bell housing and installing a new one is also expensive. I can't possibly see how you'd gain anything even if you get the 400 rebuilt at cost.

340duster340 you can also rebuild a 727 torqueflite in a lot less time than a turbo 400. I have done numerous 727's and a couple 400's. I hate 400's personally. There must be 3-4 times the small parts in a 400 than a 727. 400's are strong transmissions also but I don't think their even one bit stronger than a torqueflite. Just my .02

The adapters are indeed pricey, $500+ for the sfi bellhousing, I believe the flexplate with a starter ring on it is close to $200.

One major problem with mopar trans is they can--and do--blow up! Scatter Shields are a must on any hp car at the strip.

The 400 trans might break also but won't try to take your foot off with it, ha ha

It takes only a few precautions to keep your 727 from blowing up and an aluminum front drum will stop it entirely. Trans shields are mandatory on any car, regardless of the brand if it's quicker than 10.99

The only time I ever thought a GM trans behind a big block was a good idea was in one particular guys situation here at Bandimere. His 17 year old daughter was moving from one of those Briggs powered dragsters to a 10 sec 'Cuda. He thought that a powerglide would keep her from making mistakes as she'd only have to shift once and didn't have to think about what gear do a burnout in. I had to agree.

Lol.thats good news.Honestly the th400 has the same kind of flaws as the 727. They both need hd clutch packs and steels,alum front drums,hd bolt in sprags. As far as supierior shifts I have to give it to the 727 hands down.

One major problem with mopar trans is they can--and do--blow up! Scatter Shields are a must on any hp car at the strip.

The 400 trans might break also but won't try to take your foot off with it, ha ha

What.......

That's what happens when you let idiots build you a trans.....

Or you have the orc removed....

The 400 is heavier then the 727, not a little either...

I use A&A and MSperformance for my trans issues...

They see over 800hp, not even a hiccup, Rick did my 727 which was the 1st externally adjustable 727... that was over 10 years ago... that trans sees over 780 on muscle and then another 2 stgs....

Go to a mental patient and or places like tci and similar crap and then you'll have issues..

-
Back