Anyone Running Progressive Ignition Distributor with Trickflow 240 Heads on 440?

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Considering the purchase of the PI distributor. Wanting to know if there are any clearance issues that need to be dealt with.

I have had both the new small cap and the original larger cap installed. The larger cap was definitely a pain to deal with. Had to pull distributor to get valve cover off. The small cap I did have to clearance the valve cover lip, most of the edge lip that is vertical to valve cover gasket. I am running Edelbrock aluminum heads. I had previously made clearance for a Mopar style electronic distributor so I can’t attest to the head. If I get to the shop tomorrow I will get you some close up pics of the area. As far as the distributor itself I absolutely like it. Been no issues. My car is primarily street and the MSD setup would get hot due to not getting out of the multi spark rpm and go stupid on me.

I have had both the new small cap and the original larger cap installed. The larger cap was definitely a pain to deal with. Had to pull distributor to get valve cover off. The small cap I did have to clearance the valve cover lip, most of the edge lip that is vertical to valve cover gasket. I am running Edelbrock aluminum heads. I had previously made clearance for a Mopar style electronic distributor so I can’t attest to the head. If I get to the shop tomorrow I will get you some close up pics of the area. As far as the distributor itself I absolutely like it. Been no issues. My car is primarily street and the MSD setup would get hot due to not getting out of the multi spark rpm and go stupid on me.
Thanks. I talked with Ted at PI via email yesterday. They only do the small cap on 440's now. Also, the small cap only has the HEI style male plug towers as well. That will force me to get different spark plug wires, or if there is enough slack to re-terminate them. Their specs say the PI distributor is a little taller than the OE. Do you know if that is the distance between the round base and body or if the body itself is taller?

The height is close to the same on shaft housing length, the difference is in the area where the electronics are installed/cap mount. I had to clearance the head also. As you can see hopefully. Sucks having to grind on a cylinder head but I’ve been running for over 6 years and not an issue with it. Correct on terminals also be aware they call for a specific coil resistance range also. I believe any “stock” type distributor will interfere, at least on the Edelbrocks I have.

IMG_4128.jpeg

IMG_4127.jpeg

IMG_4126.jpeg

IMG_4125.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4123.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! When I get my engine back together I may get that distributor and see what needs to be done to make it fit. I talked with Ted yesterday at PI and he said he would allow me to return the distributor if it did not fit, even if I mod the distributor. Seems like a great guy to work with.

-
Back