Anyone that used dashcap please help

-

Duster7286

Reaction score
Nice day, decided to finally install the dash cap for my duster. Following the instructions. Test Fit. WAIT! It doesnt fit 100%! ](*,)

I knew they were not perfect but, it is showing some of the green dashpad on both sides. I read in a mopar magazine (old one where they put a cap on 69 satelite dash), that they used a hacksaw blade to take osme off the original material off the front edge of the dash pad.

Has anyone else done this? Im looking for some info how you installed your dashcap. Searched the forums, not coming up with much.

I just received mine for a 71 Dart. Have not done a test fit yet but will do it today and give my opinions. I know this doesn't help right now but if there is a problem I will figure it out.

thanks! Im not expecting it to be absolute perfect fit but just better than it is, let me know what you find. thanks again

yha they don't fit. I just dyed the my green pad and put the black one on top, looks like you won't notice when it's installed. Mine did fit over all the top just not the front.

Ok I had a chance to test fit mine. Close but not perfect. I now see why the list of materials needed to install was quite long. I saw mine fits about 90% without having to start clamping in place somehow. These pics are with it just set in place, I can get it to the edges but would have to clamp it lightly somehow.
Was yours the one on fee-bay for $63. shipped? DASH-CAP

DSC00001 (Custom).JPG

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00003 (Custom).JPG

DSC00005 (Custom).JPG

I took all the old stuff off my dash cap and had my re-done by a local upholstery shop. They matched the material almost exactly. The new foam covering on the metal was much better than the old foam. I used the remainder to put on my black luggage tray board.
Dave

No, I got mine from Dante. It has a better fit than yours though. Ill post pics tomorrow. Im debating what to do. Its either dye the pad black and install the cap and be done. Of lightly cut the front lip of dash pad off with hacksaw blade, I think that may allow the cap to slide back and cover the entire pad. Just dont want to make it worse! LOL I have a habbit of doing that.

Thanks for the Help!

I installed one in our 70 Dart, got it on ebay. It fits really good, just a little short of totally covering it up on the underside and the corners but you really need to look to notice it. The front top edge near the glass covers fine. My old pad had large cracks on the top that were not smooth so I cut them down with a knife so the pad would lay flat, used clear silicone to attach it, be sure to set heavy objects on the cover so it glues down tight, I used heavy old books. I didn't have to trim the pad down anywhere else. I know I took the easy way out but nice pads and repops are spendy!!

DSC00753.jpg

If I remember correctly, I think I had to remove the radio/heater bezel and loosen up the instrument cluster so the cover could slip in behind them, when bolted in these items covered up the underside of the dash pad. Maybe check this and see if you have something in the way.

OEM quality brand new dash pads for 69-76 are $200 through PG classic. I know that's 3 times $65 ($135 more). But you get a whole new pad, bolt on, and it will last longer.

I replaced the dash pad in my Duster. I got the pad off e bay and it fit really well along with using heavy objects to hold the pad down I also used towels(folded them up) to hold the pad in place at the corners

I found that If you use glossy vinyl dye afterwards it shines and looks really nice!
I know it's dark but you really can't tell it's a cap when you are sitting in the seat.

windsheild1.JPG

-
Back