Anyone thought about building a duster for economy?

-

autologus

Wrencher wanabe
Reaction score
Hey I was just thinking about building a duster for an economy car since gas is getting so expensive. I wonder how high of gas milage you could get from one. It would have to have a /6 and OD trans with high speed gears and probably some light panels. Anyone have any ideas?

They did build the Feather Duster in 76 I believe. It was a /6 with a 1 barrel carb. And they used aluminum bracing on the hood and bumpers. I believe they were capable of mileage in the 20s city and about 30 highway. I'd think an early 60's a-body would be a good place to start. They weighed quite a bit less than a 70-76. But if I needed a car just for good mileage I think I'd just buy a slightly used Neon or comparable car.

Yeah I'm familier with the feather duster and you can get a slew of imports that get good gas mileage but they are not A-bodies. This is just an idea I've been kicking around and was wondering what others might think.

I'm trying it with a 70 Duster. I'm using a 318 2barrel and a lock-up transmission. Not as good as a /6 but alot better than my V-10. Just a little paint work left then I will know for sure. I'd rather drive a Duster @ 20 mpg than any import at 30 plus.

Could even run the route of a v-6 magnum too, I've seen enough v-8 magnums make the transplant dont imagine a v-6 would be much harder. Little more power then a /6 and good mileage.

Yeah I was wondering what a /6 with a 4 speed OD and 2.73 gears would do. Maybe lower the chassis put on some ultra light alloys 225 60/15s, slick paint job and see what it would do.

I'm planning on doing this with my 74 Duster, gotta replace the fuel tank, and put disc brakes on it before I can start driving it everyday though...

-
Back