Anyone using 440 Source 1.5 Rocker Arms?

-
I think there's a reason why some stuff is way inexpensive...because it's cheap

They make plenty of good stuff, however I had very bad luck with their rockers, even were used on their heads. Fortunately I took the motor down for upgrades and discovered the carnage before they wrecked the motor. What I found was the needle bearings were destroyed which ate into the shafts, several roller tips were flat and had ruined the corresponding valve tips. This was after about 15,000 miles on a 383 with great oil pressure. I got to clean it all out of the pan... if you can afford Harland Sharps... or something along those lines I highly recommend passing on the 440source ones.

I built an engine with basically the same needle bearing Chinesium rockers (these were "C.A.T." brand, but they all look the same and have "NSK" bearings) years ago for a friend. We used a moderately aggressive Lunati solid FT cam (254/264*@.050",.588/.570") and ISKY 8005A dual springs in his 446" RB with iron heads and dome pistons. Ran great and no rocker durability issues. On a refresh years later, the #4 main showed some excess wear, but the block mains mic'd true, so I attributed the wear to oil volume loss from the rocker feed passages and the open needle bearings in the rockers. Converted to full-time rocker oiling and restricted the feed to the rocker shafts in the heads to .042", hoping to keep more oil on the #4 main journal. I did also replace the adjusters with Crane units, out of paranoia more than an actual issue. So far so good.

-
Back