are 8 3/4 junk now?

-

SCOTT EVIL

Reaction score
I keep seeing 8 3/4's in Furys and Belveder's going to the crusher at the wrecking yards. Have they fallen out of favor among the Mopar crowd?
If an A body one goes for up to 2 thousand, why not buy the wider ones and get them cut down if they are supposed to be so valuable.
These are the diffs with the welded on rear cover and the removable carrier gear set.

Just seems odd that they go to the crusher.... What could be bad or undesirable about them?

Experts comments?

Well unfortunately, things like this happen. The much desired Dana 60 gets the same fate, in trucks. Rears that could have been modified to fit anything else are just fodder for the machine.

No there are very strong and with an auto trans a stret tires very tuff, I agree with above. In fact i have had great luck for 30+ years even with slicks on an A body, of broke one set of side gears...:)

A body rear ends aren't that common but they don't go for $2k. I sold one a few months ago with a SG complete with brakes and sbp axles for $500.

Those 8 3/4 rear ends you mention as well as those found in pickups and vans are defininetly worth something. If a person was set up to cut down the housings and could cut down and re-spline raw axles, a guy could make a decent living building rearends, ask Dr. Diff.

Buy up the diffs as many as you can,from C body cars and trucks to use as cores to fit in A,B,E,and other cars,and you will find some good center sections,mrmopartech

Most likely the reason your seeing them go to the crusher is because it's idiots that junk these cars don't know the 8-3/4 rear is worth anything.

Thank you! I thought it was odd they were going to the crusher. I will just have to add some to my collection of Mo Parts at home. Maybe everyone in this area already has alot of them.

With the way a-body 8 3/4's are getting harder and harder too find,we'll need those c and b body 8 3/4's to convert to a-body lenghts..the 8 3/4 properly build with good quality parts ie:Moser,strange in an a-body is plenty strong to handle just about anything put in front of it.

I just got the drums, backing plates and -489 case out of a pick up at Pull-a-part for $94. The drums are excellent... I don't think I even need to turn them. The fluid in the rear looked new, there's no visible wear on the pinion seal... I'd lean toward not even rebuilding it or replacing the bearings.
Unfortunately, it's a 2.92/open dif, just like the other one I have.

I'd LOVE to find a decent street gear ratio in one, but I don't think it's gonna be in the cards if the two -489 cases I have from junk yard trucks both came with 2.92 gears.

-Brad

thats odd that Dodge would put a 2.92 gear in a truck but who know what the idea was

Yeah, I know... but it's the second truck rear end I've grabbed the case out of, only to find a 2.92 pig! Talk about disappointment!!!

-Brad

I just got the drums, backing plates and -489 case out of a pick up at Pull-a-part for $94. The drums are excellent... I don't think I even need to turn them. The fluid in the rear looked new, there's no visible wear on the pinion seal... I'd lean toward not even rebuilding it or replacing the bearings.
Unfortunately, it's a 2.92/open dif, just like the other one I have.

I'd LOVE to find a decent street gear ratio in one, but I don't think it's gonna be in the cards if the two -489 cases I have from junk yard trucks both came with 2.92 gears.

-Brad

Where are you located Brad? I have a buddy with a 489 case with 3:23 gears that'd swap you even for the 2.92 gears.

My pumpkin was out of a D100, it had a 3.91 gear set, but no SG. Bought a SG later and moved the gears over. I spent 100 bucks for the A housing 10 years ago and another 50 for the SG w.no gears, whole pumpkin was 45 bucks at the yard. $195 for a 3.91 489 SG aint bad, but it is a conehead ;-( reused some old axles, cant remember where I got those. The B and C axles sometimes dont cut down as they are tapered where the A should be splined. I think most C's are straight. pre 80 RWD Mopars in yards out here are like finding hemis

Where are you located Brad? I have a buddy with a 489 case with 3:23 gears that'd swap you even for the 2.92 gears.

Jefferson, Georgia.
That'd make me REAL happy!

-Brad

I keep seeing 8 3/4's in Furys and Belveder's going to the crusher at the wrecking yards. Have they fallen out of favor among the Mopar crowd?
If an A body one goes for up to 2 thousand, why not buy the wider ones and get them cut down if they are supposed to be so valuable.
These are the diffs with the welded on rear cover and the removable carrier gear set.

Just seems odd that they go to the crusher.... What could be bad or undesirable about them?

Experts comments?

must be a regional thing because down here in TX that ain't happening! Mope's are picked clean down here before they hit "the machine"...

65-67 B bodys fit 60-76 A bodys,BBP,65-69 C bodys fit 58-61 dodge ply,desoto,chrysler,get rid of the nut axle crap

must be a regional thing because down here in TX that ain't happening! Mope's are picked clean down here before they hit "the machine"...

Man, that's the truth. Mopars are scarce in the yards around here. There are probably used parts dealers who have dibs on any incoming Mopars with the yards.

-
Back