Are the front suspensions the compatible for the 65 and 67 Barracuda?

-

Matthew Smith

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of restoring a 65 Barracuda and happened upon someone parting out their mopar collection, but the earliest he's got is a 67. I'm putting in a 318 since I already have my hands on one and my 225 is kaput. I have been told that I should look to upgrade the suspension so I was wondering if the 67 (his has a 278) would have what I need

Do a quick look at rock auto for 67 front suspension parts and then at 65 and see if the part numbers are the same.

IIRC the 65 is narrower

Last edited:
I'm going to out on a limb here and say no.

Do a quick look at rock auto for 67 front suspension parts and then at 65 and see if the part numbers are the same.

IIRC the 65 is narrower
It looks like most of the parts are compatible, it only changes with the tie rods. When I look at websites that sell suspension kits for both the 64-66 Barracuda and the 67 Barracuda they use the same pictures and say the same things. I would guess the difference would be in the steering bits?

Caution obout photos. 67 FSM uses many images from 65 FSM

There is a photo on Classics website that shows the same image for 2 parts that are physically different.
Good luck to you

You'll be okay using everything except the K frame and centerlink/tie rods, and sway bar if so equipped. Those parts are all different widths.
You'll be able to use the upper and lower control arms, spindles & brakes, torsion bars (make sure you're at least getting basic smallblock V8 torsion bars or better), and a few other odds & ends; although they're pretty much the same parts as '65s (unless your intent is to upgrade from, say, 9" brakes to 10" or discs).
That knocks down the list of early A only parts you'll need to the V8 centerlink (it has a dropped center for oil pan clearance) and motor mount brackets. Your K frame is the same as V8 units. If you want to run a sway bar, you'll also need the early A unit; but the lca sway mount tabs remained in the same location until '72.
Another useful upgrade would be to grab the dual-pot master cylinder and proportioning/distribution valve and associated lines from the '67 and use them in your '65, getting rid of the single circuit unit you have.
I hope you got a transmission with your 318; the slant 904 (if automatic) or bellhousing and flywheel (if manual) is different between slant 6s and V8s. If automatic, you'll also need to deal with linkage differences, as the '65 and earlier use a two-cable shift mechanism and a ball & trunnion output and driveshaft, whereas '66 and later use mechanical linkage and slip joint output and driveshaft. There are also speedometer drive and cable differences.

Professor Fate summed it up pretty well. The only thing I'd add is that if you're putting in an aftermarket sway bar kit, they are typically designed around the assumption your car didn't have a sway bar to begin with, and include their own mounting hardware. So you'd only need to track down the early A body sway bar parts if you specifically want a factory sway bar.

I'm in the middle of restoring a 65 Barracuda and happened upon someone parting out their mopar collection, but the earliest he's got is a 67. I'm putting in a 318 since I already have my hands on one and my 225 is kaput. I have been told that I should look to upgrade the suspension so I was wondering if the 67 (his has a 278) would have what I need
Maybe........maybe not. Unless the torsion bars are the heavier duty version (you'll need to get the numbers off the end of the bars), there really isn't anything on the '67 that would be an "upgrade" for the front end. Maybe the rear springs if they've got more leaves than yours. Now, braking, rear end, transmission, and driveshaft might be possible upgrades depending on what you have now and what the donor car(s) have.

-
Back