Ati Procharger Questions

-

Black 69 Dart

Reaction score
Anyone using one? Do you have any install pictures? Does the mounting bracket mount to the head? Any kit better then the other sd concepts vs the supercharger store? Anyone have any idea on pricing for a kit from either company or experiences with them? Has anyone altered a chevy or ford kit to work? Sorry for all the questions but just starting to seriously considering a boosted build.

Trevor

Anyone using one? Do you have any install pictures? Does the mounting bracket mount to the head? Any kit better then the other sd concepts vs the supercharger store? Anyone have any idea on pricing for a kit from either company or experiences with them? Has anyone altered a chevy or ford kit to work? Sorry for all the questions but just starting to seriously considering a boosted build.

Trevor

I built my own "kit" for a Vortech V-1 S Trim and I am here to tell you, it was an enjoyable, although a time-consuming task.

My car is a 1972 Valiant into which I had swapped a low-mileage 360 Magnum, ditching the EFI in favor of a Holley 4bbl (750) on an M-P hi-rise 180-degree manifold. With 340 exhaust manifolds and a (very) mild aftermarket (hydraulic roller) cam, it ran 13.35 @ 102mph at swal level, on a 95-degree day. Made 260 rear wheel hp on a chassis dyno.

I wasn't very happy with those numbers, so I found a new Vortech supercharger on Ebay for $1,000, and decided to try to build my own "kit" to install it. I replaced the 340 manifolds with a set of TTI headers. Excellent product!

Took me long time, but I got it done, and the results are: 445 rear wheel HP and mid-11s at about 118 mph. A different car!

I still have the stock short block (9:1 compression) with hypereutectic pistons and stock rods. so I limit my boost to 10 pounds. I don't have an intercooler, but I bought a Snowperformance Boost Cooler methanol injector (Stage I) which I have set to start spraying, at 3 pounds of boost.

I have a friend who owns an airplane, so I run av gas at the strip with this thing; not sure what it would do with 93 octane... don't really want to find out...

I still was using the old V-Belt setup when I installed this blower, so I only used a serpentine belt to drive the supercharger; left everything else V-Belt drive, but that's not the best way to do this, I believe. Someone told me to get the accessory drive off a Dakota pickup and use that for everything (including the blower.) That would probably be a lot better...

I made my blower mount out of some 1/2" 356/T-6 aluminum plate and it mounts to the driver's side head with 5 bolts (and some standoffs to line things up.)

I did the whole thing (minus the fuel system; that's another whole story) for probably $1,800-2,000.

But it was a LOT of work...

Here are some pictures...

Attachments

• js640_100_3266.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 240
  • js640_pullley.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_19192.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 255
  • image0-3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_3206.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 100_3205.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_3150-1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 256

Trevor

My setup is a Vortech rather than a Procharger, but I'd imagine that the installation would be very similar. If you can get a kit, that would save you LOTS of time and detail work. I had more time than money, so I did it myself... but, it took me awhile.

-
Back