Auto Choke

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a source for the heat activated, automatic choke unit that is located in the top of the exhaust manifold, secured with two 1/4" bolts. Mine is totally manual, heat actuated, no electrical connector, linkage from the thermal unit to the choke linkage on the carb? 1965 Barracuda Super 225, Carter Ball&Ball. I have worn myself out looking for one on the net.
Norm

If you can't find one and they are the same as the small block uses I have a used one.
I personally don't know if they are the same.

I don't know exactly what your choke looks like or what the model number is, but there are many, many 60s Carter Mopar choke parts on eBay right now. If you check eBay regularly, you will find one very soon.

Check on slant six .org -I believe slantsixdan had posted a tech article about this exact issue . You will need to bend the v8 linkage but everything else is the same I believe. there is alot of good info for the slant 6 on that site.

Heres 1 from SSO
supersix choke hookup (Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:49 am)
he difficulty is the difference between the V8 and \6 choke lever. The \6 choke lever's rod attachment point is spaced further away from the carburetor and is rotated slightly vs. the V8 lever. Late Carter BBDs have the choke lever attached to the end of the choke shaft by a screw, so the V8 and \6 levers can easily be swapped. The Holley lever is swaged onto the end of the shaft; no easy swap. I keep meaning to check and see if the necessary choke shaft and lever assembly can still be had from Holley. Probably not, but I will try to remember and get around to it sooner than later.

In the meantime, I definitely have better results starting with the electric choke kit, making my own choke pushrod from brass rod stock of the correct diameter. I can compensate for the closer-to-carburetor V8 choke lever by making the carb end (top) of the pushrod longer than the original pushrod, then using two circular spring clips to secure the pushrod to the lever (one on each side of the lever). This is often enough to resolve the binding and allow the choke to operate correctly. If not, a bend can be placed in the rod to help make the angles less impossible. Make sure you're using a thick carb base gasket to lift the carb high enough; that in itself can do the trick!

-
Back