Auto Meter Cluster Not Compatible with Swingers?

-

jpstewart19

Reaction score
Was considering the Auto Meter Aftermarket cluster setup after I damaged the OE one trying to fit it back in my '73. However, reading the description it says "Not compatible with any Dart Swingers. I thought all of the late Dart clusters were interchangeable. Any ideas why this would be?

upload_2022-2-27_14-2-2.png

upload_2022-2-27_14-2-51.png

upload_2022-2-27_14-0-19.png

Redfish if anyone is one of the experts on clusters around here

They probably mean 340 Swingers (rallye dash) and other 340 cars with the rallye dash. Otherwise they are the same.

Looks great. Who sells a pre-wired? Also concerned it wont work in my '73 Swinger (/6) given the odd warning.

That panel won't fit the 67-71 Dart (of any flavor) dash frame. In 72 they started using the dash frame style developed for Dusters
that panel will fit in the dash frame for 72 and up Swingers. Look for where the headlight and wiper switch is: if in the metal dash below the bezel its the older style, if those switches are IN the bezel then it's the newer style. That cluster should work fine in the OP's 73 dash

IMG_1951.JPG

That panel won't fit the 67-71 Dart (of any flavor) dash frame. In 72 they started using the dash frame style developed for Dusters
that panel will fit in the dash frame for 72 and up Swingers. Look for where the headlight and wiper switch is: if in the metal dash below the bezel its the older style, if those switches are IN the bezel then it's the newer style. That cluster should work fine in the OP's 73 dash

View attachment 1715879113

Thanks that is what I was thinking too. Shape wise it is almost a perfect match, but didn't know if there was some other odd reason.

I wanted to use that cluster in a 70 Dart drag car, so I swapped to a salvage dash frame from a 74 Dart and it fit like a glove.

from 1972 to 1976 all Dart dash frames - Custom, Swinger, 2 and 4 door are all the same for similarly equipped cars and have the same instrument cluster hole. The one I used was in a 1974 4 door Dart Custom. I don't know that dash frames for Dusters, Demons and Dart Sports, which all share a different body from 2 door hardtop Darts are the same, but someone here does and I think that is true. The holes in the dash frame for bezels (plastic trim) may vary, especially the glove box door. If you are going to post a wanted ad, best to ask for pics and compare all the accessory and trim holes (although they can be easily welded up or drilled where you need them). All the a-body dashes from 67-76, except for 1968, have interchangeable dash pads, though the grain changes from year to year.

Any chance you can cut the metal on a 70-71 dart dash to make this fit?

-
Back