automatic valve body vs. manual valve body

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
When dealing with automatic transmissions, whats the difference between automatic valve bodies, manual valve bodies, and automatic/manual valve bodies?

i'm trying to learn about transmissions and understand them..
what does having a manual valve body mean?

and what do torqueflights come stock with?

thanks for any and all help..

automatic valve body...put trans in drive...trans shifts itself from 1st to 2nd to 3rd...

manual valve body....put trans in 1st it stays in 1st until you move lever into second...then it stays in 2nd....until you move lever into 3rd......

automatic valve body...put trans in drive...trans shifts itself from 1st to 2nd to 3rd...

manual valve body....put trans in 1st it stays in 1st until you move lever into second...then it stays in 2nd....until you move lever into 3rd......

I couldn't figure it out at all. but then I came across an article that made it make ALOT better sense.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/shift-kits.html

thanks 70 aarcuda..

so an automatic/manual valve body means that you can either choose to shift through the gears manually, or just place it in D and it'll do the shifting?

They are mostly just like they sound…

An automatic valve body shifts automatically…. Like automatic transmissions normally do. Including a stock Torqueflight.

A manual valve body changes things so your automatic must be shifted manually and provides more positive shifting.

People go both ways an which to chose in a street application. Some like a manual valve body on the street, others say they are to harsh shifting for their taste and/or want their automatic to work like an automatic not a clutch-less 3 speed.

So… The choice is a matter of taste.

spoke with several 727 guys, most swear by the reverse manual valve body instead of a forward, don't remember the entire reason just that it helped the 2-3 shift.......

spoke with several 727 guys, most swear by the reverse manual valve body instead of a forward, don't remember the entire reason just that it helped the 2-3 shift.......
it also avoids the possibility when shifting of going from 2nd-3rd and accidentally going to neutral. In a reverse pattern 3rd is farthest from neutral - ie neutral-1st-2nd-3rd.
I like mine as its like driving a standard without the clutching.

darn. the reverse would have probably been better. But it'll do. the shifter that i bought is a turbo action cheetah scs shifter. So supposedly those arent supposed to slip at all. and I should have to worry about "overshooting" 3rd gear and it slipping in to neutral..

-
Back