Axle Length

-

72 Duster

Reaction score
I have a 72 Duster and i plan on using a ladder bar with a 4 link suspension. What i need to know is what to tell the machine shop to cut a ford 9inch rear end down to so i can use 15 inch tall and 15 inch wide tires on the back please help thanks

It all depends on the offset of the wheels and the section width (actual sidewall width) of the tires you will be using making sure the tires clear the outer fenders. For better accuracy, it would help to have the tires mounted up and set inside the wheelwells after you cut out the OEM sheetmetal.

You need to be sure of the rear measurement because wheel and tire manufacturers usually don't take them back after they are mounted if the rear is incorrectly cut first.

When you mock up the tires and wheels, you can contact the axle manufacturer you'll be ordering from and give them the measurement. Then they can tell you how wide just the housing needs to be based on the distances between the axle flanges and housing flanges on a 9" as well as the axle lengths for it..

ok heres the tires i will be using 32.0/16.0-15S made by mickey thompson

The section/sidewall with is approx. 18.5", but you still need the distance between the rear inner fender lips, taking into account how much clearance you need, and then you need to know the wheel offset.

I don't know how far the axle flanges are past the housing flanges on a 9".

If you really want to get the rear done first, you'll just have to approximate the housing width, order axles for it, then order the correct offset wheels.
Either way, you need to have more measurements and do lots of careful figuring.

-
Back