B body 8.25 in an a body. Help

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
So I kinda just wanna double check. If I got a b body 8.25, do I need to relocate spring perches and shorten the housing and axles to fit my 70 dart? I figure since u have to for an 8.75 b body ud have to for an 8.25

Side note: the reason I ask is I will attempt to purchase a b body 8.25 rear (duh). I don't suppose there is anyone in here that is local to me and willing to do a fabo young gun like me a favor?

I dnt have the equipment, skills or know how to do the required mods to make it fit in my dart. Anyone wanna maybe do that stuff for me (if I get the rear, of course)

Thanks for any info

The 65-69 B-body rear is approx. 2" wider than a A-body housing. If you can find one in that year span and you've got an extra inch or so per side of wheel well clearance it'll work without narrowing it. If not it'll have to be narrowed and you need a jig to get it straight and very few average mechanics have a jig. Just remember that it also has the large wheel bolt pattern. The spring perches will have to be cut off and welded on a 43" center as B-bodies are 44" center to center. By the time you get done paying someone to do all that you'll have a bunch of money wrapped up in it. 8-1/4's were used quite often in A-bodies so you'd be better off trying to find one of them as it'll bolt right in. Even if you have to pay a couple hundred in shipping to get an A-body rear it'll be a lot cheaper and easier in the end. You might PM crackedback (Rob) and see if he has anything. He's in CA too but at the moment I can't remember what part he's in. He's a stand up guy and will do you right. If he doesn't have anything you can try posting a want ad in the want ad section. Just make sure and check out the seller good before you lay your money down.

i believe hes in Novato, which is close to me. the thing attracting me to this particular rear is the fact that its the gear ratio i want (3.23) and its a SG. also says it only has 1000 miles on it

i believe hes in Novato, which is close to me. the thing attracting me to this particular rear is the fact that its the gear ratio i want (3.23) and its a SG. also says it only has 1000 miles on it

Yeah that makes a big difference. If you can get it reasonable it sounds like a good deal. Another thing to think of is that if it is too wide as is it would probably be cheaper and easier to just buy a new set of back wheels with the back spacing that will put them in the right track rather than tearing the whole rearend down and having it narrowed. Then you'd only have to cut off the spring perches and weld a new set on. Just make sure if you do that to get the pinion angle set correctly before welding the new perches in place.

Yeah that makes a big difference. If you can get it reasonable it sounds like a good deal. Another thing to think of is that if it is too wide as is it would probably be cheaper and easier to just buy a new set of back wheels with the back spacing that will put them in the right track rather than tearing the whole rearend down and having it narrowed. Then you'd only have to cut off the spring perches and weld a new set on. Just make sure if you do that to get the pinion angle set correctly before welding the new perches in place.

thats what im hoping for. as stated in the OP i dnt have the ability to do any cutting or weldin or nuthin. would you consider $200ish bucks a good deal? haha

haha ok. i wasnt exactly in a hurry to chop it up to fit, just thought id throw that in there since i need to to fit Abody but would need some kinda-hearted welder to do it for me!

You might want to post a thread about needing help in the general section. Might be someone capable of welding near you that doesn't know about this thread because he doesn't look in the trans. forum. A lot of guys don't mind helping a young gun in the hobby to help keep the hobby going. I'm 2000 miles away or I'd do it for ya.

-
Back