B&M shifter cable problim

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Hi guys,hope someone can help.When I installed my 360 and tranny the B&M cable went on with no problims.Got the 360 running and was shifting from park to first all of this in the driveway.After a 30 minutes of break in time the cable went south.Not hiting my headers or anything.No matter how i try to adjust it now I cant.when I pull the cable of the leaver and shift from under neith the car it goes through all the gears fine{ car not running Tho} is it possiable the cable has streach or something from geting to hot.This is the one thing now keeping me from cruiseing nowe.Any ideas.The shifter is the star one.it came with the 4 or 5 foot cable.

has it burnt through anywhere. if so i bought the summit brand shifter cable. is a little more heavy duty. i also bought the a heat sleeve for the cable.

From the bad experience with B&M cables it sounds like it has burn through somewhere. If it has the cable pushes out the place it is burned and will not move the transmission linkage. I fixed the problem with a longer cable, heat sleeve and made sure it was no where near the exhaust.

Thanks guys for the quick replys,at this point i cant see were it could be burnt through.It moves back and forth good.When my shifter is in park I can adjust the 2 nuts and my swivel, to line up but when I drop it into 1st gear its not going to first its going into drive.Remove the swevel from the shift leaver,and i can move the leaver 2 click into first.This all work ok with my 318 in her.This all started after i broke my 360 in.Now I had a shift kit put in,but it shifts good when I do it my self by moveing the leaver with no cable hook up.Does it still sound like the cable?

I would remove the cable to see if it is indeed burnt through anywhere IF I couldn't see the entire length of the cable seeing that it isn't damaged.

You probably know this but put the trans in first and make sure the swivel slides in and out of the trans linkage without binding then put the trans in park and see if it slides in and out of the linkage smoothly. You will then have the cable adjusted properly. I can't explain why it worked on the 318 and not on the 360.

The cables you get with the shifter kits usually dont last. At least ive never had any luck with them.

I would remove the cable to see if it is indeed burnt through anywhere IF I couldn't see the entire length of the cable seeing that it isn't damaged.

You probably know this but put the trans in first and make sure the swivel slides in and out of the trans linkage without binding then put the trans in park and see if it slides in and out of the linkage smoothly. You will then have the cable adjusted properly. I can't explain why it worked on the 318 and not on the 360.

well i tryed that earlier it would drop in first but when I go to park it wont go all the way.I removed the swivel and had to push the leaver into park myself.at that point I cant move the cable forward by the 2 nuts and there is no threads left for the swivel to move forward.An after thought,when the tranny was haveing the TF2 kit put in i had a new gear shift selector seal installed.The leaver was likly removed,I wonder if it is backwards is that possiable.Frig I have had this shifter on many cars and NEVER a problim.Thanks Mull for the help.When I got it into drive I went around the block and it shifted from 1 to 3 by itself .I am lost lol.

"removed the swivel and had to push the leaver into park myself.at that point I cant move the cable forward by the 2 nuts and there is no threads left for the swivel to move forward."

Is the cable kinked on anything or bent too sharply around something? That is the first thing to check.
I had the same problem with a 904 and hammer shifter.
You need to adjust those 2 lock nuts under the car and put it about half way on the linkage down at the trans. Sounds like you have the cable stretched out way too far, or not enough. If its going into the wrong gear (first instead of drive), this is most likely the culprit. I spent a long long time until I figured this out. Loosen the 2 locknuts, manually shift the trans out of park with your hand under the car, put the threads about halfway...tighten all...and tell me if that works. My shifter was going into the wrong gears until I got the cable just right.

"removed the swivel and had to push the leaver into park myself.at that point I cant move the cable forward by the 2 nuts and there is no threads left for the swivel to move forward."

Is the cable kinked on anything or bent too sharply around something? That is the first thing to check.
You need to adjust those 2 lock nuts under the car and put it about half way on the linkage down at the trans. Sounds like you have the cable stretched out way too far, or not enough. If its going into the wrong gear (first instead of drive), this is most likely the culprit. I spent a long long time until I figured this out. Loosen the 2 locknuts, manually shift the trans out of park with your hand under the car, put the threads about halfway...tighten all...and tell me if that works. My shifter was going into the wrong gears until I got the cable just right.
Will try that,I down loaded the instructions and that is how I did it befor just forgot.My cable is loop because from them this thing is too long.I will try to adjust Sunday night,need a stressss free weekend.Thanks

This is very true

Maybe when you had the linkage seal replaced,they may have put the lever a couple teeth off from it,s original position?This would cause it to shift irregular.You might have to pop off the lever and move it a couple teeth back?Just a thought if it worked before you had work done to the tranny.Good luck.

Maybe when you had the linkage seal replaced,they may have put the lever a couple teeth off from it,s original position?This would cause it to shift irregular.You might have to pop off the lever and move it a couple teeth back?Just a thought if it worked before you had work done to the tranny.Good luck.

Ya that was in the back of my mind Scott.But with the cable off the leaver I can shift it fine starts in P and N.Also I found yesterday when trying to adjust one more time that when in 1st its ok push up to P wont go in,pop the cable off and I can pull the cable out and then it lines up and the shifter does not move.Sounds like the cable is toast.When I firered the dart for the first time after 30 minutes droping it into gears all was fine,than so after that it went south.

I had a simialar problem and it had the stock trans lever on the tranny it was to long it wouldnt go into park. I change the lever to a short one and it work

Sounds like a bad cable or shifter problem to me. Right after I installed mine the cable melted internally and wouldn't shift right. I couldn't see on the outside that it was melted. Apparently it got hot enough it clamped down on the cable from inside. The trans. linkage can only be put on one way so there's no way the people that replaced the seal could have screwed that up. There are no splines to install it differently. Just a flat spot on one side of the shift lever that aligns it. The other possibility is a problem with the shifter itself not moving far enough each direction. Have you tried unhooking the cable at the shifter and counting the shift notches as you shift it through the range to make sure it's actually going all the way each direction?

Sounds like a bad cable or shifter problem to me. Right after I installed mine the cable melted internally and wouldn't shift right. I couldn't see on the outside that it was melted. Apparently it got hot enough it clamped down on the cable from inside. The trans. linkage can only be put on one way so there's no way the people that replaced the seal could have screwed that up. There are no splines to install it differently. Just a flat spot on one side of the shift lever that aligns it. The other possibility is a problem with the shifter itself not moving far enough each direction. Have you tried unhooking the cable at the shifter and counting the shift notches as you shift it through the range to make sure it's actually going all the way each direction?

Will try that next thanks again.New cable has been ordered tho.

Snake, my B&M cable shifter went south within 300 miles. Replaced it with a
Lokar Nostalgia double bend, NO cable, just solid rod, looks *****'n and works
flawlessly.

-
Back