b motor into a body

-

justafish

Reaction score
i have a 68 barracuda that came with a 318 and i am attempting to drop in a 383 (1) if schumaker isnt in business anymore where can i get motor mounts ? (2) i am planning to install headers on it , but for now i wanted to install manifolds . can anyone tell me what part number manifolds i should be looking for when i hit some swap meets or possible a reader has a set for sale reasonably thanks justafish

The only stock exhaust manifolds that fit that I’m aware of are the stock 383 manifolds. Others will not clear the steering column and interfere with power steering pump 383 manifolds are pricey, expect to pay $1200 to $2000 for a pair. And headers that fit are not common. Ones that do are fender well headers and if you cut holes in the fender aprons which you need to do to install them, you are weakening the unibody of the front end. Fender aprons are structural.

i have a 68 barracuda that came with a 318 and i am attempting to drop in a 383 (1) if schumaker isnt in business anymore where can i get motor mounts ? (2) i am planning to install headers on it , but for now i wanted to install manifolds . can anyone tell me what part number manifolds i should be looking for when i hit some swap meets or possible a reader has a set for sale reasonably thanks justafish

Here are some nice exhaust manifolds at the low end of the cost estimate from a member here.

[FOR SALE] - Mopar Factory A body Big Block exhaust manifolds

I PMed him a link to your thread.

Don't forget you'll need to change the trans and radiator also. Perhaps upgrading the brakes and the suspension for the extra weight & power should be considered also.

I got my mounts from Transdapt.. I also used a set is 69 B body HP exhaust manifolds when I did the 383 swap into my 70 Dart. I had to cut the steering column sleeve back, and I used a "187" C body oil pan, but that was it as far as getting the motor and trans in.

Hedman B body headers will work with a low deck and manual steering way cheaper than other options part #78030

Don't forget you'll need to change the trans and radiator also. Perhaps upgrading the brakes and the suspension for the extra weight & power should be considered also.

and that stock radiator is rare and expensive if you can find one. used on only A body big blocks including the 68 Hemi cars.

I got my mounts from Transdapt.. I also used a set is 69 B body HP exhaust manifolds when I did the 383 swap into my 70 Dart. I had to cut the steering column sleeve back, and I used a "187" C body oil pan, but that was it as far as getting the motor and trans in.

I did not know that.

B-body HP manifolds will fit with modifications to the steering column.

I did not know that.

Hedman B body headers will work with a low deck and manual steering way cheaper than other options part #78030

I did not know that.

Did that many times. U can also use C body hp manifolds as well as the B body ones mentioned earlier. Kim

I did not know that.

Here are some nice exhaust manifolds at the low end of the cost estimate from a member here.

[FOR SALE] - Mopar Factory A body Big Block exhaust manifolds

I PMed him a link to your thread.

WHEN USAY CHANGE TRANS , U MEAN 904 TO 727 NOT A PROBLEM IF I RUN THE 833 , JUST NEED A DIFF. BELL HOUSING RIGHT ? AND AS FAR AS RADIATOR , PLEASE ELABORATE

I don't know enough about manual transmissions to know if it would involve just a simple bellhousing swap. Auto trans - yes, SB 904 or 727 to BB 727.

The radiator hose connections are on opposite sides between small & big block and cooling capacity for the bigger engine might be an issue.

and that stock radiator is rare and expensive if you can find one. used on only A body big blocks including the 68 Hemi cars.

I did not know that.

I did not know that.

I did not know that.

I did not know that.
SO GLAD I SIGNED UP FOR THIS SIGHT ! LOTSA KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE WHO OBVIOUSLY HAVE DONE YEARS OF THIS STUFF . THANKS TO ALL . CRACK THE BOTTLE & STOMP THE THROTTLE ! ! !

I have a modified K member, Schumacher mounts, Torque strap, headers, and we may can even make a deal on a Very nice Griffin radiator..... As said, if it interest you PM me. I am in Central Va so you will need to make a trip...

JW

Radiator - you can always look into aftermarket aluminum radiators, like Champion or one of several other brands.

Later model 440 engines use a water pump housing with flipped outlet side. So you can use another housing to match rad locations.

Later model 440 engines use a water pump housing with flipped outlet side. So you can use another housing to match rad locations.
A ton of good info in this thread,A bunch of quick info in a nut shell. Thanks to all who responded...Swingn’

67-72 manifolds work fine. This valiant ran low 12s with 516 heads small cam and full exhaust and interior.

DSC00415_zps4orl4oyt.jpg

DSC00416_zpsinbxrdya.jpg

Same motor with Edlebrock heads and Pro Parts headers 11:50s

proparts2.jpg

propartsBOB.jpg

Over here, on my 383, I'm running 383/440 HP manifolds, power steering, column shift 727. No mods to steering column needed on a 383 1975 A Body.

-
Back