Backglass install problem

-

Rbob

Reaction score
Ok,

I installed the backglass by myself, it was a ***** to do and will pull it out again and do it again with some help.

I cannot get the weatherstrip seal to cover the headliner teeth on the inside and the lockstrip out the outside of the glass will not fit all the way on the lower rear corners. I was pissed off, hot and tired when i gave up last night.

I did not rope it in, which was the *****, (used the plastic bone). Also I started the lockstrip and the top center, which I will start the lockstrip next time on the bottom.

Pushing done on the back glass helps roll the weather strip, but I think it will help with someone on the inside (pull the gasket into place) while I am tapping it from the outside.

Don't know what else to do, just pissed off right now.

thanks for your help and ideas,

MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-008S.jpg

I pulled the window this morning and noticed a couple things, you do not need to put lock-strip into corners, (I think) looks like you start and stop at the corners.

My son asked me about the headliner teeth, aren't those supposed to be tapped down? That made me think, we had to straiten them to install the headliner so maybe so, just does not look like they interfere.

Curious, what car are you working on?

That lock strip should begin and end in the lower center. There is a special tool to install or remove it.
Get in the back seat and work the gasket and glass further into the bed while someone else is applying pressure along the top from the outside. I did this same chore last summer. I feel your pain, HOT HOT HOT !
!Honestly, I could still see 3 of the teeth in the upper right corner radius when I decided close enough. Good ol' gravity has since closed the gap further. That's where the problem is though. The glass is a little high and/or a little far out of the car still.

It is a 67 Baracuda Notchback. I hate it right now, maybe that will change.

Redfish, Looking at the gasket you can see the lock strip stops on each side of the lower corner. So am going to give it another try and I will put the lower lock strip in first and then the upper. I may take a close up of the weatherstrip in the AM and post, may help others. Still not sure on the headliner teeth but I will tap them down a bit anyway.

I think I will rope the glass into the weatherstrip this time, with some help.

Thanks Redfish! your experience is priceless.

I just knew you had to be working on a Barracuda Notchback, thats why I had to ask. Can't relate to the locking strip problem, I have 68 Barracuda Notchback and this year never came with one. But on the other hand, the issue your having with the headliner teeth, I had the same problem before and even after putting a new rear weatherstrip and a new headliner in the car. Seems to be a void running along the top where the headliner and gasket meet, one would assume either the gasket or the headliner would cover this area. I'll wait to see Rbob if you have an luck with your car.

Lower corners are the last place you would want the lock strip to fall short. That's right where water stands. I dont know where you got that pic but its not how the factory did it.
And as for the rope trick, good luck with that. It works great on flat glass like the rear window of a pick up cab but it dont work well at all with odd shaped glasses.

Update,
I tried the rope trick and I sucked at it, It caught the 6mm butyl and pulled it out so start over, bead of silicone on the pinchweld, placed rope in the channel and tried roping the glass with some help. I need more experience with that cause that sucked for us, probably should have sprayed glass cleaner on the window first. Oh well got it in.

The windshield I put a nice bead of silicone on the fence and a bead into the weatherstrip where it sits over the pinchweld and put the weatherstrip in place.

Here is what worked good this time, sprayed down the weatherstrip with glass cleaner and used the plastic bone to put the windshield in. Tapped it in real good then cleaned up the glass and weatherstrip. Applied a small bead between the glass and weatherstrip and locked down the lock bead. That part was easy.

Onto the moldings, All fit pretty good except the upper windshield, it is to high leaving a gap between the molding and the weatherstrip.

The clips were in kit form for the windshield and all the clips were the same size and I placed the upper clips in the bottom of the channel. Looks like I need shorter clips for the upper so I am going to have to be very careful drilling and installing those clips.

Also, I ended up doing the headliner myself, never done it before and I think with a couple under my belt I could be pretty good at it. Getting the rear sail panels to fit is the hardest part.

Redfish, I appreciate your concern and agree but this weatherstrip is different in the corners, no place for the lock-strip? Don't know what else to do with it.

Here is some pics:

Headliner:
MVC-017S.jpg

Still see the hooks:
MVC-016S-1.jpg

backglass:
MVC-014S-1.jpg

MVC-016S.jpg

Windshield:
MVC-011S.jpg

Molding sticks up??

MVC-012S-1.jpg

Drivers view:
MVC-015S.jpg

Ok, not happy with the backglass area of the headliner, maybe it is the aftermarket weatherstrip. Maybe I wont look back there after awhile.

Looking good dude. I dont use the butyl ribbon. I have to wonder if that is what is holding the gasket out.
I wish you had seen my earlier posts concerning the height of those clips. Try to get the screws out. You may be able to use those clips in the same holes after a slight adjustment.
Posting here and answering questions on the phone is as close as I can get to working on cars on a daily basis so thank you and everyone else here :)

-
Back