Bad differential ??

-

TimZappaEckert

Reaction score
Hi folks, I havn't posted much here; sorry if this is the wrong forum.

We have a Cuda with a 360/904. (3500 stall TCI converter) Original 3rd member was a 8 3/4 open with 3.23. We bought a used 8 3/4 sure-grip with 3.55. It helped the car launch much better! However, there was a metal grinding noise, which was hard to hear over the TTI exhaust. I went under and saw wet fluid (not much) coming from the yoke area of the differential. So I yanked the sure-grip back out and out the "open" back in until I could get the sure-grip fixed.

Here are the questions,

1) does it sound like a easy fix of a new pinion bearing (or 2) and a crush sleave and a seal to get the sure-grip back "correct"? or is there probably something more severe going on? The housing is the best of the 3 possible units (489.) Note, I have NOT taken the yoke off yet to investigate.

2) I had paid $500 for this suregrip pumpkin from a wrecking yard that does nothing but mopar, and am trying to determine if I should complain or just spend more $$s and have the above mentioned parts replaced?

Thanks,

Tim Eckert

Did the niose go away after you put the open back in? does the noise on you sure grip pumpkin get louder the faster you go? if so check the bearings for a bad bearing.

Sorry for the delay, (long story) and thanks for replying!!

Yes, the noise went away when I put the open back in. Hard to say if the noise changes with vehicle speed, what with the TTI exhaust so loud.

I am planning to just assume that I will replace both of the pinion bearings, the oil seal, and the crush sleeve.

This is the 8 3/4 rear axle, and it is the "best' one known as 489 if memory serves me.
Can anyone tell me what are the part numbers I need, or what are the "bearing" numbers I need so I can just go to a "bearing" store to buy most of these parts? Or can you recommend a good place to buy all 4 items at one place?

Thanks, Tim

-
Back