Bad Gauge Bezel Paint Job

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Somebody painted my gauge bezel before I got the car and now it is peeling off in a few places. How should I go about getting the rest off. The bezel is in good shape with no cracks, just horrible spray paint.

More Progress 069.jpg

I seem to remember that Easy-Off oven cleaner might take the paint off without hurting the plastic.

What you need to do is start doing searches on this site. You will find that there is already all of the information that you seek right here. Go to the search engine. Type in what your looking for. I've already seen what your looking for. I thought I'd tell you to search it to get you in the habit of doing so. There is some VERY informative information on this already here. Good luck.

even after using the easy off which works well,give it a thorough cleaning with purple stuff and a scrubbrush.and if you can a light pass of the glass bead blaster will ensure the new paint will stick.

Use a gray scotch brite. I would skip chemicals on that old brittle plastic

I remember somebody saying to soak it in superclean and water overnight...Havent tried it yet tho.

Thanks for all the great advice I tried the oven cleaner and it worked awesome. I let it set for about 2 hours then I just hosed it off and it took almost all of the paint off with no effort. I am gonna try another coat tonite and post pics of it along the way. Once again thanks alot.

Here is a pic I took after the first coat of oven cleaner.
When I get back from the car show this afternoon I will do it again.

Stuff 001.jpg

Here is another pic after a second coat of oven cleaner and a little scrubbing with a scuff pad. I am planning on using Rust-Oleum Chrome Bright Coat #7718 for the chrome part and semi gloss black and brown for the rest. There is a really good article about "chrome" spray bomb in this months Muscle Car Review that is why I chose that one.

Gauge Bezel Resto 006.jpg

-
Back