Bad Pressure Plate ?

-

rick_rawker

Reaction score
OK, I felt something snap as I shifted a gear. 4-speed 833 in a '64 Dart [273]. .....limped it home with not much pedal. Upon inspection I noticed play in me torque arm and took it off. One of the 4 bearings halves had broke, so I rigged it back and started adjusting the pedal. I felt I had good adjustment with a descent pedal, but, she won't even try to go in gear once started. Are the bearings in that torque arm that critical, or have I blown my pressure plate ? I would appreciate any advice, and, I'm always thankful to you guys for your wisdom. #-o

Check to see if one of the welds on the Z bar broke. Have someone watch the arms on the Z bar while you push in the clutch and look for air between the arms and the bar itself. You can see them move. Did the clutch pushrod go through the washer on the nut end? Did the clutch fork come off its pivot? Did the throwout bearing go south? You would have heard some noise for a while if that were the case though. If all the above check out OK then it is E, pressure plate. Generally speaking though, something that you can feel give without a lot of prior noise is in the linkage.

I didn't think of the fork pivot. I'll check that in the morning. What happens to pressure plates ? Seems like if they don't let the disk slip they should be good. THANKS Grumpuscreature !

I'm new to this site can you tell me how to post. I'm looking for a 1967 cuda fastback trunk lid with molding. Appreciate the help.

WELCOME !
Find and click FORUM at he top of page. Scroll down to CLASSIFIEDS. Click Parts Wanted, then post new topic.
Good luck and enjoy the site !

The main pressure plate killer is loss of spring tension causing slippage. Once in a while they will break a finger or have a problem with the throwout bearing ring. If either of those happen there will be a lot of noise produced in the process. Check to see if the clutch fork pivot is broken while you're in there. That's no biggie if it happened. They bolt in.

Check to see if one of the welds on the Z bar broke. Have someone watch the arms on the Z bar while you push in the clutch and look for air between the arms and the bar itself. You can see them move. Did the clutch pushrod go through the washer on the nut end? Did the clutch fork come off its pivot? Did the throwout bearing go south? You would have heard some noise for a while if that were the case though. If all the above check out OK then it is E, pressure plate. Generally speaking though, something that you can feel give without a lot of prior noise is in the linkage.
Thankyou grumpuscreature ! The welds were broke. After welding it back, I fabricated a temporary bushing from a door handle. Problem fixed, and to answer my own question; yes, it is CRITICAL that the Z bar has tight fitting bushings to operate the pedal to plate. The slightest free movement will make a huge difference in the adjusting process.......#-o
I have found the Z bar rebuild kits at BREWERS PERFORMANCE.
http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?id=106
Thanks to this site and the good people here for caring about me and my daily driver !:cheers:

-
Back