Bare Bones Budget 400 Build

-
Which trans are you putting in this, an A230 maybe? I'll be interested to see how your linkages work out to keep the three-on-the-tree.

Yes, that's right. Somehow I don't think the little three speed will hold up. LOL

Rob, final product looks great.

Did you post what the final main and rod bearing clearances were? I might have missed it.

Yeah it's in here somewhere.....might be in one of the videos. They were between .0025 and .003.

Ok so I'm doing little stuff now. Gotta recover from the spendin spree. lol I got the fuel pump to carburetor line bent tonight. Up behind the alternator and around the distributor. Ain't hittin anything. Amazingly. lol I thought it came out ok.

FUEL LINE.jpg

FUEL LINE1.jpg

I am sold on the vinegar rust removal. This is after 24 hours. It'll live! Check it out Roy! @SGBARRACUDA

View attachment 1715553194

Well, I tore one of my "new" slants down to the short block. One piston had the rings rusted up. So I knocked it out and it's been in Evaporust for two solid days. Still rusted solid. So tonight, I dumped some vinegar in a big bowl and stuck the piston in it. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

Key to the budget build imo is to buy the stuff long before you need it when you come across a deal. I have more core engines than I currently have cars. If you wait until the moment you need something, you will pay a premium for it. For example it is entirely possible to buy a non running vehicle, part it out to get your cost back, while getting the core engine for nothing other than some work.
So true, I picked up a running 400 yesterday for $300, I have no idea yet, which car I will put it in, but it was cheap enough.
Its in my outbuilding now, so dry and safe for a long time.

Well, I tore one of my "new" slants down to the short block. One piston had the rings rusted up. So I knocked it out and it's been in Evaporust for two solid days. Still rusted solid. So tonight, I dumped some vinegar in a big bowl and stuck the piston in it. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow.
Got the rings free yet? We got 6 to do. Wondering the best way?

Got the rings free yet? We got 6 to do. Wondering the best way?

I don't know. I ain't checked on it in a day or two. They were pretty stuck. I'll go out in a bit and report back.

And who knows? If I like it enough to keep it big block, I will run it till it needs freshening up......might go 451 then. It'll still have to be mild because I'll still be limited to exhaust manifolds. I'm not cuttin the car.
I wonder if a 451 can be done reliably with a cast crank, also without extra $$$$ for balancing

I wonder if a 451 can be done reliably with a cast crank, also without extra $$$$ for balancing
Certainly with the cast crank. They'll take 550 plus HP prepped and balanced good. I wouldn't try to cut corners by not balancing, though.

It can be done, but what you save in balancing internally, you lose in the cost of the balancer and upgraded flexplate.

-
Back