BBduster

-

myduster400

BBDuster
Reaction score
I need to buy headers for my 73 BB duster. I have manual steering and I heard someone talk about CPPA headers. What are they and how much do they cost? I could use some help on this subject. I know I donot have the money to buy the expensive ones. :prayer:

One of three choices if you don't want to cut the fenders:
Original stock steel manifolds
custom make your own
or go to http://www.engine-swaps.com/frames/frame_73upABFMJmount.html and call thier number and ask them about their "stock manifold style" headers for BB Abodies.

Their may well be other companies with headers that may work but most I know of are a pain or cause interference with something.

If you do not mind doig some work,you buy B-body headers and install the right side with no problem.The left side you need to redo the number 7 cylinder tube to fit the car.It could take you may be a few hours and its done.The headers are about 150$plus what ever time and welding you do,instead of 400-1000 for special headers,Mrmoaprtech

Mrmopartech said:
If you do not mind doig some work,you buy B-body headers and install the right side with no problem.The left side you need to redo the number 7 cylinder tube to fit the car.It could take you may be a few hours and its done.The headers are about 150$plus what ever time and welding you do,instead of 400-1000 for special headers,Mrmoaprtech
I've Heard that works only with the low deck BB.
Just wanted to clarify that if anybody didn't catch the 400 in myduster400's screen name.
B body headers also work in Volare/Aspen big block conversions. :wink:

Mrmopartech said:

I used 2 inch B body Hooker Super Comps and had to heavily modify 1,5,and 7 tube using new bends from hooker, modify the steering column, shim the steering box to angle it like an original big block A-body, and move the steering column over about 1/2 inch. The collector angle was all wrong on the drivers side of the car so i fixed that when re-doing the tubes. I also had to use 69 idler, pitman and centerlink in my 74.

On the passenger side I had to recontour the firewall slightly to clear the header tube and still look professional. I also had to reshape a couple of tubes on this side to clear the steering linkage and torsion bar. I also put a shim between the crossmember and transmission to raise the rear of the transmission slightly which also happened to improve my driveshaft angle.

What I ended up with after a month or more of sweating and cussing was a set of adjustable, completely under chassis, easily removed, 2 inch bb abody headers. I would not recommend this to anybody but the finished product is very neat. I did all of this because i didn't want to cut the fender wells and somebody also told me it wouldn't work.

If i had it to do over it would be Pro-part headers but you can't run a large front tire without some mods or TTI .

My former boss had one of the original sets of CPPA headers on an RB a-body and they didn't fit well. but this was one of the first sets and they may have been improved after that.

-
Back