Bearing or..?

-

Moparbaker

Reaction score
I just noticed that when I push the slipyoke sideways it moves a wee bit... So I figured that it must be a bearing or bushing inside the seal that's waisted, right? The trans is an -89 A500 / 904 with o.d. from a van. (& it's been working fine in 8 years now in its new home)
So what's in there; a bearing or a (bronse?) bushing? & nope, no leak yet.

It will move a wee bit, that’s OK. And no leak is good. It sounds normal.

How does it drive at higher speeds? Any vibration?

Thanx for quick answer! & yes there are vibrations even at low speed, that's why I lifted it up to check... But I guess there are more stuff to look at thou the u-joints are new since a few months back.
Anyway; what's in there at the back of the gearbox? Bearing or bushing?

Okidoki, thanx!
Is it reachable from rear or is it one of those you have to get everything out from the front to replace it?
I sure hope it aint that bad, either way as in the bearing being bad or if it's not possible to reach it from the rear hole...

Last edited:
No, you have to remove the tail shaft housing and tail shaft to replace the bearing. 65'

The yoke rides in a bushing.
It can be removed from the rear with the bushing puller.
Without a puller the OD section has to come off and get disassembled.

2C4E2BDD-397C-47A3-B79F-1F4FDED165E6.png

445265DD-738B-4F66-BC4C-5084BD01819D.png

The slip yoke rides on a bushing

The output shaft has a ball bearing, it is where the trans mount bolts to the tailhousing,

Have you tried moving the driveshaft 180* at the rear yoke to see if the vibration is better, or worse? Just a thought.

Yes Demonracer, I'vce already done that & I think (not sure but...) it got a wee bit better.

Take the driveshaft to a shop and have it balanced. Can improve things.

check for bent wheels, those can make the best tire out of round or wobble sideways.

Done the wheels, angled up the pinion & so on... Then I just left it for most of the winter.

I made marks at the ends & in the middle while the rear axel was on stands & then I strapped on some lead opposite the marks but I didn't notice much difference... So yesterday I removed the shaft.
I wonder if the shaft coulda been hit at the end so the "ears" that holds the u-joint have moved sideways? Also a thing that probably absolutly nobody here has experianced...

-
Back