before the axle turn downs

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
i just switched out the exhaust system on my duster for a X pipe with some Pypes M80s and turn downs
the exhaust ends just before the axle and turns straight down

i dont want to be that guy who kicks dirt up all over the shiny waxed cars, so i was wondering, does it make sense to run the turn downs at 45 degrees, or even horizontal?

Maybe horizontal. At a 45 it would be worse. Or buy AAR Cuda mufflers and the outlet pipes and tips.

1970-challenger-t-a-aar-exhaust-tips-20.jpg

straight back MIGHT cook the gear lube in the diff. IF the exhaust is aimed right at it. below it might be okay if it doesn't hang too low. tips at a 45 INWARD, towards each other is supposed to cancel out some sound but not sure about kicking dust up.

I had a Roadrunner with the exhaust turned down like that and I hated it. I also had a Dart Sport with the exhaust exiting just in front of the rear tires and liked that much better.

I had a Roadrunner with the exhaust turned down like that and I hated it. I also had a Dart Sport with the exhaust exiting just in front of the rear tires and liked that much better.

I`m on my 3rd hotrods w/ the exh turned down ,dosen`t bother me at all , dont driveon dirt roads.
PUT UR LITTLE TAIL PIPES ON , MAKE A RUN AND PULL THEM OFF , NOTICE THE DIFF. !

straight back MIGHT cook the gear lube in the diff. IF the exhaust is aimed right at it. below it might be okay if it doesn't hang too low. tips at a 45 INWARD, towards each other is supposed to cancel out some sound but not sure about kicking dust up.

That is a thing to consider, because cooking the gear lube does happen.

I`m on my 3rd hotrods w/ the exh turned down ,dosen`t bother me at all , dont driveon dirt roads.
PUT UR LITTLE TAIL PIPES ON , MAKE A RUN AND PULL THEM OFF , NOTICE THE DIFF. !

On of our local guys has turn downs and I won't follow him too close even on a paved road just idling through town.
Paved roads have dust as well, and it kicks up a cloud.
Probably doesn't bother him either, but the guys behind him don't like it.:D

Yep , turn downs will kick up dirt and other things . I built a 1972 Pro Street Dodge Colt with a blown 440 . There was no room for the pipes out the back of the car so turn downs were my only choice . Was at a car show and got I to leave 2 young boys went and laid down at the back of the car , I did not see them do this and when the motor started I had the gas petal down and it started up at about 2500 rpm blowing dirt and dust out the back of the car and into their eyes . Had to get water and wash them out . At home when backing the car out of the garage it would clean out a 3 ft path in the pine straw as of it was raked . When I sold the car Darrel put the pipes out the side of the car . The car is now in The Crawford Auto Museum
colt13 001.jpg

I had dumps under the car at one point. I have a long gravel drive. It was awful.
dumped them in front of the rear tires...slightly better, but really just caused the dust to billow into open windows on the car, opposed to out the back.

my blue car is getting exhaust out the rear. I consider this one of the things I thought was cool at 16 years old, that I now do not.

I had dumps under the car at one point. I have a long gravel drive. It was awful.
dumped them in front of the rear tires...slightly better, but really just caused the dust to billow into open windows on the car, opposed to out the back.

my blue car is getting exhaust out the rear. I consider this one of the things I thought was cool at 16 years old, that I now do not.

My pipes exit in front of the wheels, but I turned the pipes up as much as I could after going under the subframe.
Doesn't blow dust up but it's kinda loud with the windows all down.

I had turn downs attached to the mufflers just before the rear axle years ago & thought it was cool. With the exception of the race car, all of my vehicles have full out the rear exhaust systems.

It must vary with state law. In MO the pipes have to exit from under the car. Mine go out the back and it's still pretty loud inside.

mine dump before the axle and exit at about a 22.5 degree angle under the axle tube straight out.

exhaust leak ? what ? I don't hear no stinkin exhaust leak !

My pipes exit in front of the wheels, but I turned the pipes up as much as I could after going under the subframe.
Doesn't blow dust up but it's kinda loud with the windows all down.

Mine would be way too loud that way.

I had turn downs attached to the mufflers just before the rear axle years ago & thought it was cool. With the exception of the race car, all of my vehicles have full out the rear exhaust systems.

With offset spring hangars, and dual 3 1/2'' exhaust , and a new gas tank that clears the springs by about 1/2'' , no way to get over the axle , and I dam sure aint gonna try to run then over the reatr springs !

i think ill crawl under there today and see if it would be possible to move the mufflers closer to the headers, and then S curve the pipes out to look like a AAR
i think that at least would look killer

i think ill crawl under there today and see if it would be possible to move the mufflers closer to the headers, and then S curve the pipes out to look like a AAR
i think that at least would look killer

Dynomax sells mufflers that have the in And out on the same end of the muffler to do that.

Dynomax sells mufflers that have the in And out on the same end of the muffler to do that.

I've got the same problem of no space for over the axle. Turn downs are at an angle, which helps. Wish Dynomax made Ultra-Flo's like that but maybe they wouldn't Flo so Ultra, then.

Turn downs are awesome mine will be just before the diff but the heat will go out under the diff, cant angle out due to cooking the rear tires so dump they go, but I'm running the dynomax bullets. Tucked the exhaust up as close as I can go for mock up.

20200315_161727.jpg

20200315_161707.jpg

Turn downs are awesome mine will be just before the diff but the heat will go out under the diff, cant angle out due to cooking the rear tires so dump they go, but I'm running the dynomax bullets. Tucked the exhaust up as close as I can go for mock up.

View attachment 1715493922

View attachment 1715493923

Looks like mine ------mine may be a little higher in the back at the turn downs tho.
I had a bunch of used header wrap , and wrapped the whole system------headers back.

Looks like mine ------mine may be a little higher in the back at the turn downs tho.
I had a bunch of used header wrap , and wrapped the whole system------headers back.

Yeah that's as high as the 4" pipes will go. I'll be wrapping mine just down nexr to the transmission.

so this is what I'm thinking
if I cut the pipe, just after the X pipe (before the weld) I can slide the muffler right on there
then grab a 45 and shoot out the sides, exeting just before the rear tire
put a nice tip with a 45 on it aswell and it would look killer

my only concern would be that that would put the muffler pretty close to the floorboards, and I dont want to fry my carpet

(I cant imagine they get too hot because I've never seen paint flake on cherry bombs, but who knows)

20200327_122725.jpg

20200327_122716.jpg

-
Back