Beginner Road Racing: Transmission Question for Budget and Angry Knee

-

Torqueflite

Reaction score
I admit I hesitate posting this thread since I see it quickly going off topic into a "manual rules" and "automatics rule" debate, but here it goes. My question is not of personal preference as much as practicality for two reasons I discuss below. I recently posted a question in the engine section about my interest in starting road racing at a local track, just against the clock for now. I recently purchased a solid but neglected unrestored 1969 Valiant coupe for the build. It’s a factory 318 4-speed car that doesn’t run but still has the engine and transmission. I'll run an LA for the weight and because I have LA parts to put together. I'm shooting for 400 - 450 HP at the flywheel. There's the general context.

For the transmission, is a 727 full manual shift valve body transmission with a custom converter built for the specific engine/car practical for road racing? Hear me out.

Point 1 - Budget:

This is a budget build, not as in unsafely hacked and cheap but as in economically reasonable. As my first step into the fray, I don't want to over-invest funds or overestimate my abilities as a driver.

Manual Transmission: Safety (even though racing is inherently risky) is a big consideration at this point in my life, so running a manual transmission will require I buy an SFI flywheel and scatter shield whether the engine's 400 - 450 HP needs them or not. That's just how it has to be for me if I put a manual in the car, which adds a considerable amount of money to the build even before rebuilding the transmission and buying a good clutch system. As far as a core goes, I have the A833 in the car, but it needs going through. Another option is to pull an NV3500HD from a junkyard Dakota, but I'm not sure its five speeds and ratios are the best for a road course with more tight turns than straightaways and sweeping turns, and it has a integral aluminum bellhousing, so I would need to either find a shield that fits over it or reinforce the body tunnel and floor with plate steel.

Automatic: On the other hand, I have an LA 727 in the parts shed that I rebuilt for another project that didn't get used. It has a Hughes manual shift valve body, 5-pack red frictions/steels, 4-pinion planetaries, oiling modifications, etc. I'd only need to buy a custom torque converter and a floor shifter to make it work. I'll be going to a larger drive shaft and U-joints regardless of the transmission, so that cost is already baked in regardless of the transmission type.

Point 2 - My Knee: Most of my commuter cars throughout my life have been manuals. I had a left leg injury years ago that tends to remind me if I overuse my knee in certain ways, and operating a clutch pedal and jumping to a brake pedal quickly is one of those ways. After a spirited 10-hour road trip that included some mountain roads, the manual commuter car got sold for an automatic. The knee otherwise works fine and is healthy according to the doc. I know for a fact that it is not going to like a few sessions of a full day at a road track pushing a strong clutch and brake pedal let alone doing that at least one track day a month, even if I set up a hydraulic system where the clutch feels like a modern pedal. I'm okay using the left leg for the brake pedal, but a clutch pedal added to the mix will likely make track days a lot less fun.
I admit I hesitate posting this thread since I see it quickly going off topic into a "manual rules" and "automatics rule" debate, but here it goes. My question is not of personal preference as much as practicality for two reasons I discuss below. I recently posted a question in the engine section about my interest in starting road racing at a local track, just against the clock for now. I recently purchased a solid but neglected unrestored 1969 Valiant coupe for the build. It’s a factory 318 4-speed car that doesn’t run but still has the engine and transmission. I'll run an LA for the weight and because I have LA parts to put together. I'm shooting for 400 - 450 HP at the flywheel. There's the general context.

My Concern about the Automatic: At the drag strip and on the road, I've never been in a situation where I'm going into a corner hot, braking hard, and downshifting a 727. My imagination sees locked up rear wheels, fishtailing, possible spinning, and eventually the smell of fried ATF/clutch. With a manual, I can double-clutch and/or slip the clutch to help ease into the lower gear, but with a 727 I have to leave it up to the transmission to a larger extent. How does one practically manually shift a vintage automatic at a road track? Does it require planning corner entries sooner to get the engine RPM down, or will downshifting from 3rd into 2nd not be an issue? I don't see needing to downshift into 1st at this track.

There you have it. I'm trying to deal with both budget and comfort/health when planning the transmission for this build. I appreciate any constructive feedback those with road track experience/knowledge can give about running an automatic in their vintage cars. I can't be the first. Thanks.

Most run groups are like 20-30 minutes, so you would have a bunch of shifting in a short amount of time. You would have to speak with the local tech from the club you’re trying to run with about the bell housing and such. Road racing doesn’t have the shock to the drive train like drag racings. Most of the cars we see in my brothers shop all have mag bell housings. An SFI flywheel is about 300 bucks. Running an auto in road racing is not really a thing, not saying it can’t be done but shift points and cornering would be harder with an auto.

Or run a "crash box" or "face plated" or "dog" shift transmission, you can learn to shift without a clutch. Don't know what the longivity might be, tho

Last edited:
I've been to (I think) 5 track day events so far with my '70 Duster that has an A-904 with a shift kit. I basically don't downshift to 1st until I'm accelerating out of a corner otherwise it'll unsettle the rear end (at best) and I worry about burning up the low-reverse band and 1st-gear clutches. I think the only reason it's still alive is that I'm running a big aux cooler (about 10" square iirc, put it in about 12 years ago lol) and deep cast pan. I honestly hate having an auto in that car, by far the biggest issue I have with it. Some day it'll get a TKX 5-speed but until then I'll just have to live with the lack of control and rev-matching of an old hydraulic-controlled 3-speed.

If I was going to keep it auto, I'd skip the Torqueflites and run an 8HP70. That's the only way you'd be able to have something that can work well in a road racing environment. Torqueflites are great for drag racing (or pushing around a street cruiser or truck) but they just flat-out suck for long-duration, high-intensity racing with lots of downshifting.

What road course turn results with an automatic car down in 1st gear?
20-30 minute run group? time for a new track event. Try 45 minutes.

I ran laps with automatics in various flavors of cars. If there is enough stall speed and engine you should only need 2-3 all day long.

What road course turn results with an automatic car down in 1st gear?
20-30 minute run group? time for a new track event. Try 45 minutes.

I ran laps with automatics in various flavors of cars. If there is enough stall speed and engine you should only need 2-3 all day long.

I was running a very short track (partially autocross style with cones on an oval track) and 2.94 rear end gears. Power was also down because that was back in CO at 5000+ feet elevation. I've been jonesing to hit a track in GA but got other life priorities for the time being.

-
Back