best camshaft brand

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
my next hobby stock car 360 engine flat tappet hyd cam. with all the hyd cam breakin failures is there a brand that will give me slightly better odds of a sucessfull breakin? (along with all the proper preperations of course). I've heard good regarding Howards. & should I have it nitrided? thank you for your time. RR

my next hobby stock car 360 engine flat tappet hyd cam. with all the hyd cam breakin failures is there a brand that will give me slightly better odds of a sucessfull breakin? (along with all the proper preperations of course). I've heard good regarding Howards. & should I have it nitrided? thank you for your time. RR
What I don't get If the failure is high as people make it out to be how would any of these cam companies stay in business, none has done nothing to fix the problem ?

*cue somebody barging in and saying: all new lifters are **** and should be thrown straight into the rubbish and you should only use circa 1970's stock lifters that have been refaced*

i personally think that in addition to some crap QC and questionable materials, that many cam failures are due to people just not following basic break in procedures or having a lick of common damn sense.

with that out of the way: buy top tier lifters with confidence. morel, johnson and melling have proven to be decent over the last several years-- at least in my experience and talking with colleagues.

howards makes good stuff. i've run and installed a bunch of their cams and have generally been pleased with the outcomes.

also, tell me you're gonna run this cam: DODGE Howards Cams 712901-12 Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit Racing

What I don't get If the failure is high as people make it out to be how would any of these cam companies stay in business, none has done nothing to fix the problem ?
i chalk it up to a little bit of telephone game with a dash of hysteria and a pinch of hyperbole. the whole: my girlfriends cousins best friends boyfriend flatted out three cams

if it was as bad as everybody is making it out to be we'd be seeing posts weekly on it with pictures of the carnage.

Your factory core reground from Oregon Cam Grinders.

i chalk it up to a little bit of telephone game with a dash of hysteria and a pinch of hyperbole. the whole: my girlfriends cousins best friends boyfriend flatted out three cams

if it was as bad as everybody is making it out to be we'd be seeing posts weekly on it with pictures of the carnage.
I'll add my own two cents to this.
Normal order of events:
1.) Buy project car, have big wide-eyed dreams of big hairy burnouts and jumping rivers just like the General Lee.
2.) Find a crusty 360 on marketplace and haul it down to the machine shop and tell them to build you the biggest, baddest stroker imaginable. Wait one year, seven months before retrieving a motor that went over budget by about four grand.
3.) Five years later, after finally paying off the home equity loan you took out to pay for the engine, you find out it isn't going to bolt in to your car... waddaya mean the slant six transmission won't fit a 360??
4.) Two more years of chasing parts, and you decide the car looks kinda ratty to put that nice engine into... off to the body shop.
5.) Two years and another home equity loan later, the body is back in your garage. You slide the motor out from the corner and put it in front of the car, and make vroom vroom noises. Over the course of the next year you put the engine in and out of the car 3 times getting everything to fit and finding those last bits you need...
6.) Ten years after the motor was built and every ounce of assembly lube has oozed out, the cam break-in lube has turned to feldspar, and a colony of field mice have set up housekeeping in your intake manifold; you fire it up- hmmm, that doesn't sound good. Uh-oh, the oil pan is full of babbit and metal shavings. Out the engine comes, and tear it down- eeww, the cam is flat and the metal must have taken out the bearings... my cousin said all new lifters are bad so that must have been it.
7.) Get pissed off and sell the whole mess on marketplace for about .05 on the dollar and go online and tell everybody how crappy XYZ's cams are.
Moral of the story: Get the rest of the car in shape and build the engine last, not first.
Rant over.

To the OP's question- most all of the major manufacturers have quality offerings; yes, I keep hearing this and that about Comp Cams, but have not personally run one of theirs in a looong time so I don't know. Isky, Howards, Racer Brown, Lunati and Bullet (among others) all have solid reputations around here, so pick your grind and break it in correctly and you should be fine.

regarding #7... list on CL or FBMP at a wildly optimistic price because "i paid all this money for it" and slowly over the course of 4 to 6 months knock of $22.50 each week while thwarting all attempts from a real buyer offering a more in line price for what is realistically "parts".

regarding #7... list on CL or FBMP at a wildly optimistic price because "i paid all this money for it" and slowly over the course of 4 to 6 months knock of $22.50 each week while thwarting all attempts from a real buyer offering a more in line price for what is realistically "parts".
I should have said "Your WIFE sells the whole mess for five cents on the dollar because she wants to park in the garage again".

JYHero,
Engine builders with years of experience were/are having FT cam/lifter failures. It can be the cam or the lifters, but mostly the lifters.
Look at the some of the Powell Machine Co videos....

JYHero,
Engine builders with years of experience were/are having FT cam/lifter failures. It can be the cam or the lifters, but mostly the lifters.
The question is really what's the rate of failure ? It's hard to believe that it can be a relatively high percentage and these cam companies could still stay in business.

Sure sounds like a lot of you have some real world experience in this matter. So I guess storing all my engine parts under the bed and in the hall closet isn't that bad of an idea after all. :rolleyes:

Tom

Off the shelf grind wise? Howard’s , Schneider Racer Brown are my favorites to look at.
Sure sounds like a lot of you have some real world experience in this matter. So I guess storing all my engine parts under the bed and in the hall closet isn't that bad of an idea after all. :rolleyes:

Tom
Yep! I do that, 100%!

I’ve always used Comp Cams and Comp lifters. I always use moly lube on assembly and use Gibbs Racing break in oil at break in. Then I always use high zinc oil, usually VR1, at every 3000mile oil change.

Anybody that knows me knows I turn the mess out of all my engines and on a regular basis.

Never had a failure.

JYHero,
That guys videos are great...

For anyone that wants to see whats going on with actual evidence/testing..

Saw a video recently, may have already been mentioned, that showed many of the lifter issues were two-fold. One was the lifter crown was insufficient or missing which caused the lifter to not rotate. The other issue, to a lesser degree, was the cam lobe did not have the correct taper. The video talked about how he went through lots of lifters to find a set that was consistent. Think this is where having the old lifters resurfaced would be the ticket.

THIS could be some of the reason why we're seeing failed Comp products. They ain't even really Comp anymore. Same entity that bought Edelbrock out.
Comp Sold Out

RoadKill and RoadKill Garage uses Comp cams and have been all along. How many failures have we seen there??? Many!!!!

When we rely on companies that have been our "go to " people, and then learned they were bought put, sometimes it bites us on the a** until we find out we have been screwed again!

It reminds me of every time I have seen ( or have been ) shafted by corporate mergers!!! All of a sudden, they have too many employees and the old guys that make them the most of their profits, are the firsgt to GO!! :BangHead: :thumbsup:

It seems like camshafts get blamed for a lot of failures that may actually be the fault of the lifters. If the lifter face isn't ground correctly, or the sizing is off, the lifter won't spin in its bore and the cam goes flat. That's certainly not the camshaft's (or cam manufacturer's) fault, is it?

I'm learning asking everyone's favorite cam question is much like what's the best brand oil to run.

Great topic.
Personally, I've been lucky over the years, but I have almost exclusively used Direct Connection or Mopar Performance cam kits.
And using the proper break in procedures with the right oil helps a lot.
(prelube and start within the first 10 seconds)
And to maintain the cam and lifters, I now use Driven HR2 oil with good results.
Synthetic oil with the proper ZDDP in it is really good too.
I took apart a 440 a few years back with a bent push rod that had been run with Amsoil from new, and the cam and lifters looked like new and were reused and that engine is still running good to this day...
That's one of the things that has sold me on synthetic oils.
That and being able to pour out gear oil in - 40 degree weather.
My next change on my 340 with a comp cams XE 274 will be with synthetic now that the engine is broken in.
Probably Amsoil with the ZDDP that our older engines require...

-
Back