Best carb choice for 318

-

Chedrick

Reaction score
I’ve done a lot of searching and it seems that most of the posts I’ve found are a few years old so I apologize if this has been covered recently.

I have a 74 Duster with a 318 that was rebuilt when we put it in. Supposedly has a mild cam, I don’t know the specs on it. It has a performer intake and headers. We had a eddy 750 carb on it but realized that was probably too much. I picked up a Holley 600 (1850-2 I believe) off Craigslist, rebuilt it and have been screwing with it but I don’t think I’ve gotten it to it’s full potential. It needs an electric float conversion kit and instead of spending 70 bucks for that and more time trying to figure it out, I think I’m going to buy a new carb and bolt it on......wife’s got things that need to get done and carb tuning doesn’t seem to be on the list. I want to learn, just don’t seem to have time at the moment.

Seems the general consensus is a 600-650 Holley or Edelbrock but what about the demon carbs and some of the newer designs that have come out over the last few years? Any thoughts on those? I looked at the fuel injection set ups but I’m afraid of parts support and electrical issues that may arise 10+ years done the road. Thanks

I have 1200 cfms on my 318 with mild cam, no headers, works GREAT! Any 600 cfm will run it well if you tune it properly.

I’ve done a lot of searching and it seems that most of the posts I’ve found are a few years old so I apologize if this has been covered recently.

I have a 74 Duster with a 318 that was rebuilt when we put it in. Supposedly has a mild cam, I don’t know the specs on it. It has a performer intake and headers. We had a eddy 750 carb on it but realized that was probably too much. I picked up a Holley 600 (1850-2 I believe) off Craigslist, rebuilt it and have been screwing with it but I don’t think I’ve gotten it to it’s full potential. It needs an electric float conversion kit and instead of spending 70 bucks for that and more time trying to figure it out, I think I’m going to buy a new carb and bolt it on......wife’s got things that need to get done and carb tuning doesn’t seem to be on the list. I want to learn, just don’t seem to have time at the moment.

Seems the general consensus is a 600-650 Holley or Edelbrock but what about the demon carbs and some of the newer designs that have come out over the last few years? Any thoughts on those? I looked at the fuel injection set ups but I’m afraid of parts support and electrical issues that may arise 10+ years done the road. Thanks
I have bought a couple near new 600 Edelbrock carbs for $100. Perfect size for a 318. Easy to tune if needed.

@Chedrick Your right, 600/650 years s about all you’ll ever need on a 318. The new styles carbs are also fine to use over the older more established and known carbs. Each can offer something different and/or unique. In the end, it’s just a carb, so, choose which ever one your comfortable with tuning.

The Holley is the most flexable & tunable.
The Carter/Edelbrock’s are rock steady performers.
I suggest a new AVS II.
The newer carbs have also shown themselves well.
No matter what you choose to out on top, the only thing that matters is how well it is tuned.

Make buddy Mike getting down in my carbs way back when....

Thanks for all the thoughts.....pulled the trigger on a Demon from summit. The AVS II looked like it would be just as good but didn't sound like it was $50 better. The description said I may need an air cleaner spacer or adapters to clear the choke linkage, have you guys needed any of that? I'm running a kickdown cable instead of the factory linkages. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the thoughts.....pulled the trigger on a Demon from summit. The AVS II looked like it would be just as good but didn't sound like it was $50 better. The description said I may need an air cleaner spacer or adapters to clear the choke linkage, have you guys needed any of that? I'm running a kickdown cable instead of the factory linkages. Thanks again!
My factory air cleaners will fit with no issues, but an aftermarket drop base air cleaner will not work.

Make sure you check in with your progress. Take lots of photos. Heck maybe even a video or two. Our inquiring minds want to know! LOL

I have the Street Demon on my 75 F250 and it pulls like a beast.

My go-to for 318's is a tried and true 1850 Holley. They work very well for a stock-mild 318 build. A well-tuned 3310 will work fine as well. Hell, a 4776-4779 will work as well if you're willing to tune it.

Great thing about being in Ohio is Summit parts arrive the day after ordering them. I got the carb on Friday and have it mostly installed. Need to modify or make a throttle cable stud as the hole is smaller on the Demon then on the extension bracket I had. They sell one for 31 bucks extra (124007DEM) but not sure I can justify that. It fired right up but I didn't have time to get it out of the garage so hopefully a test drive will be in order tomorrow or Monday. Ill post a picture or two of the car if I can remember how to do it on a forum

IMG_7730[1].JPG
IMG_9628[1].JPG

Hi Everyone, Ive got a almost stock 318 except for the MP260 cam (yeah overcooked!) and a Chrysler CI dual plane (TQ patten) manifold, which has worked well with a Carter AFB (pre Edelbrock)with an adaptor . It's started playing up (can't hold an idle speed and now won't idle - seen a few Holleys do this) and I'm loosing patience with 40- 50 YO carbs. I have a second hand Chrysler fit QJet with a dud choke unloader (pic included), are these still available in the USA? Also has any one tried a AVS2. I read some old posts that held the AVS in high regard and am wondering if anyone has tried the new model on a 318? Cheers.
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG

-
Back