Best fitting headers for 70 Dart???

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to buy a set of headers and have read a bunch of reviews. There seems to be fittment issues with all of them. Has anyone bought a set that doesn’t require lots of frigging?
70 Dart originally a slant 6 now a 360 magnum with aftermarket mounts.
Power steering manual disc brakes
904 tranny stock suspension
A recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I know that some of the
Expensive headers fit well but I’m on an extremely tight budget.

For the street Doug's and TTI are what your going to see recommended 99% of the time.

Doug's may or may not play well with PS. They didn't for me where the the box attaches to the column, the coupler would not clear, so I installed a Flaming River column and their u-joint coupler.

I installed Dougs and for me they fit like a glove. Not one ding was needed.

We installed a set of Dougs on our 70 Dart 318 PS/Power disc brake, non A/C car and they went in with no problem. We were very concerned about the install after reading and doing some research but I will say it was one of the easiest add on's that we have done to the Dart.

Fit or performance. You most likely won’t get both.

Fit as in easy of installation or fit as in fit when they are on the car?

I run headers and oil pans that hang very low and I never hit them. I will never understand how guys smash headers and oil pans the way they do. It’s like they jump curbs and **** with them.

Milodon stopped making the best SBM wet sump pan because guys were smashing them. They got tired of the bitching.

So we either have to buy used pans or run pans that aren’t as good as far as oil control and power are concerned.

Op says he is on an extremely tight budget. I recommend the cheapest headers you can find, a large ballpeen hammer, an engine hoist, and a swear jar.
Oh, and a wrench to crank up the torsion bars a little.

Op says he is on an extremely tight budget. I recommend the cheapest headers you can find, a large ballpeen hammer, an engine hoist, and a swear jar.
Oh, and a wrench to crank up the torsion bars a little.

If that’s the case, I’d use manifolds.

I’m leaning towards stock 340 manifolds that I have
It’s a warmed over 360 magnum and the loss of 20 horsepower vs headers
Isn’t really a concern

If you have manifolds, and you dont want to deal with bad fitting cheap headers, and you dont want to spend for great headers, then manifolds are clearly the right answer.

-
Back