Best headers?

-

cmac

Reaction score
May be replacing the headers on my project car(71 Plymouth Valiant,318,904, man.steering) I have a set of hookers comp. headers in it now and they are in rough shape. They have a small leak have been patched where they hit the road. Steering linkage passes through these and the motor has to be jacked up to install/remove these.
What are the easiest headers to install? Best price? Longest lasting? Need to bolt up to my dual exhaust

Your best bet is a set of tti or Doug headers.

1. No header is easy to install, though these 2 are far easier than what is in there now.

2. Your going to need a little cobbling work to connect the header to the pipe, but nothing serious. If you can cut your own pipe, your half way there.

I've run some Patriot pavement draggers and they sucked, which means that anything which shares that crapulent design probably also sucks, which rules out the Summit parts, Super Comps, and anything cheap. I've seen the Doug's and TTI's recommended time and time again here, and I've also seen TTI install pics that feature pipes which hit every single steering device along the way and the starter, and tales of tube massaging to get it to stop plinking around down there time and time again. I have yet to see a good pictorial set of a Doug's setup. Read this thread about the Tight Tubes, which appear to slip in pretty nice and require thinking about the connection to the rest of the exhaust system, but don't appear to require dead blow hammers and presses to squish pipes for clearance, even with power steering and old-school starters. After looking at all the TTI install threads I've peeked at? I don't think I'd ever risk it, I don't want to take a ball peen to something that I spent $600+ on.

If the tti's didn't fit, I'd do;

1. re-check everything and try to move the components around, shim, adjust them.

2. Send them back undamaged.

I have seen many sets around here "Un dinged."
While there are threads about this issue, I have yet to see a heard or even a small gaggle stand up and shout about there bad experience with tti. Just because you heard and/or seen a thread or two, this shouldn't turn you off. But rather ask more questions about the car, owner, installation, abilities and of course, to tti and the installer of the header as to why there was an issue.

Improperly bent tubes will happen. I have had several sets of the crap headers fit and then not fit from the same maker. Bar none. Hooker, Headman, Summit, etc........

The shorty header is OK for tight spaces. From what I remember, there not much better or barley better than OE 340 manifolds. I wish someone did a dyno test on this for proof.
to require dead blow hammers and presses to squish pipes for clearance,
This in itself I have yet to see. Is there a thread around here with these dead blow hammered tti's around?

Has anyone used Jegs Headers? I think flowmaster makes them but they are sold as Jegs headers

I have an early A, which is a tough fit for any header, and I have used both Dougs and tti. Both fit when the instructions were followed, including getting the engine in the right place on the K frame, and I didn't have to hammer any dings in them. I recommend either brand.

What are the easiest headers to install? Dougs.

Best price? Summit.

Longest lasting? Anything ceramic coated.

Need to bolt up to my dual exhaust. Any will do that.

I have 1 3/4 TTI headers on my valiant. They fit perfect 1/8 to 1/4 of and inch clearance on all parts. Only thing is starter is trapped. Just follow the destructions no hammer needed. :supz: You can also go to the TTI site for more info. good luck with your choice.

I have jegs on my 345 and they were a ***** to get in but perform very well and don't drag like my last headers did Im happy with them.

Just put TTI's on a customers 340 dart swinger. had to jack the motor up a lot to get them in, but once bolted up they fit like a glove. Very nice header IMO thick flanges don't hit or rub on anything. Was surprised at the weight of these, not cheapo thin walled junk.

My .02....Pete

Dougs and tti are the only two long tube headers that fit worth a darn.

Makes me glad I gotta slant in a 63 dart and a small block truck.

TTI 1 3/4" step down long tube headers. In my Dart with a small block they were by far number one. I only did not like the slip tube on number 7 that wrapped around the torsion bar. If you had to take them back out it was a *****.

May be replacing the headers on my project car(71 Plymouth Valiant,318,904, man.steering) I have a set of hookers comp. headers in it now and they are in rough shape. They have a small leak have been patched where they hit the road. Steering linkage passes through these and the motor has to be jacked up to install/remove these.
What are the easiest headers to install? Best price? Longest lasting? Need to bolt up to my dual exhaust

-
Back