Best paint for console

-

plugger340

Reaction score
The paint shop recommended flex paint for my 68 Barracuda console. Is this the best way to go or would trim paint work just as well?

i've used SEM trim black for ages. it lays down easy and is very durable. it's available in pints, quarts and aerosol and not crazy expensive.

i cannot stress this enough though: you must follow their prep and application instructions to a T

IMG_7307.jpeg
All my interior was done with single stage automotive paint. Scuff with scotch brite pad, clean with soap and water. Air dry. Light coat of primer sealer and 2 coats of paint. Rock solid. Excuse the missing radio, this was done before the radio came back from the rebuilder.

i've used SEM trim black for ages. it lays down easy and is very durable. it's available in pints, quarts and aerosol and not crazy expensive.

i cannot stress this enough though: you must follow their prep and application instructions to a T

This. I used SEM Color Coat Landau black rattle can with their adhesion promoter years ago and it came out perfect.

Follow their prep instructions exactly and then lay down a bunch of light coats. If you try and spray it on medium or heavy, it'll look glossier in some areas. Just do like 10 light coats and it'll come out looking as close to factory as you can get.

The storage compartment needs to be painted so should I prep that separately with SEM high build primer?

The storage compartment needs to be painted so should I prep that separately with SEM high build primer?
any time i've painted something of that nature i've done it by tackling each section independently. i'm not entirely clear on what section you're describing, but if you can take it apart and spray it that's the route i'd recommend.

if it doesn't come apart, try and find the area where a tape line will be the least noticeable and mask it there, then on your final you can probably go back and blend the area.

same story as above, and i can't recommend this strongly enough, you need to follow their prep and application directions exactly to get suitable results.

caveat: i'm not a professional paint guy or restorer, i'm just three raccoons in a trench coat and sometimes i play a doctor or lawyer on tv. but i have used SEM products with great success and did stay in a holiday inn express the other night.

This. I used SEM Color Coat Landau black rattle can with their adhesion promoter years ago and it came out perfect.

Follow their prep instructions exactly and then lay down a bunch of light coats. If you try and spray it on medium or heavy, it'll look glossier in some areas. Just do like 10 light coats and it'll come out looking as close to factory as you can get.
I’d like to use primer on top of the adhesion promoter, and then paint it later. It would make it easier for some of the masking for painting.
Can I do this?

I’d like to use primer on top of the adhesion promoter, and then paint it later. It would make it easier for some of the masking for painting.
Can I do this?

I've never tried it. The tech sheet calls for painting it over the adhesion promoter while it's still wet but I don't see why priming it wouldn't work. I'm just not sure if the primer would have a reaction to it. Plus you'd have to scuff the primer after it dries. I feel like you're making more work for yourself by going it that route and painting it later.

I've never tried it. The tech sheet calls for painting it over the adhesion promoter while it's still wet but I don't see why priming it wouldn't work. I'm just not sure if the primer would have a reaction to it. Plus you'd have to scuff the primer after it dries. I feel like you're making more work for yourself by going it that route and painting it later.
I’m thinking about when I paint the instrument panel and other non-automotive plastics, when I have to lay down 2 or more different colours
Thanks

-
Back